Swallow Yachts Forum > General Discussion

Contributing to the web site

<< < (3/14) > >>

Julian Swindell:
Michael
I'm not certain, but I think Jonathna might just have been replying to me and didn't mean that everyone can edit everything. But he will correct me on that if I have misunderstood

Jonathan Stuart:
Michael,

You say you created your page in Word first of all. Do you still have that saved? If so then email me it to me and I will recreate it as a web site page. Let me know if you have a copy and if so then I will PM you with my email address.

Michael & Julian,

Any member can edit any library pages but those changes need to be reviewed and approved by an editor before they become effective. Also, all previous copies of pages are retained so if someone doesn't like an approved change then we can revert back to a previous version. If anyone creates a page that they don't want other people to be able to edit then we can put a restriction on that page. But I needed to go for a default position with site-wide rules and had to choose between everyone being able to edit pages (subject to review) or only the author being able to edit pages. I went for the former on the basis that we want to encourage collaboration and hopefully this won't be abused as happens on Wikipedia, etc. If this approach doesn't work then we can make the default to be that only the author can edit a page and permissions will be explicitly opened where appropriate.

Julian Swindell:
Thanks Jonathan, that all sounds sensible.

Jonathan Stuart:
Thanks. If anyone does contribute a page that they want "locked down" such that only they and editors can make changes then PM me after creating the page and we can apply the required security.

Michael Rogers:
Hi Jonathan

I must apologise - I think I'm being tetchy, which is discourteous and unnecessary. You're going to a lot of trouble to provide for us lot, and deserve a bit (no, a lot) less aggro from me!

Your kind offer - I can't act on it at present because, of all things, we are having email transmission problems, and I can't send any: nor can I sort the problem out because I'm so thick, and my in-house techno-help (my son) isn't available (now I think about it, contributory factors to my short fuse? - though that's no excuse). So I'll have to let you know when I'm out of email purdah.

Thanks again        Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version