Author Topic: Updated BRe Jib Furling Arrangement  (Read 12886 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Updated BRe Jib Furling Arrangement
« on: 19 Nov 2012, 15:58 »
I didn't much like the original furling/unfurling arrangements on the BRe because everything has to be done while stretching over the cabin, which causes a few issues. I discussed this with Matt and we came up with a new setup that brings the furling lines back to the cockpit. Furling/unfurling the jib can now be done easily from the cockpit. I have written an article on the new setup and it is in the Library area of the web site.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Julian Swindell

Re: Updated BRe Jib Furling Arrangement
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2012, 09:35 »
Ooh, I may claim prior art on this! I suggested something similar to Matt when we were considering the original Baycruiser rig. As with the BRe, furling the jib was a problem because the cabin was in the way. I suggested leading the furling line back via the jib boom swivel, but Matt was having none of it. Hence the conventional jib sheeting on the BC. Mind you, I wouldn't change to the self tacker now. The finer control of the twin jib sheets and the ability to back the jib for manoeuvring is worth the slight extra effort of tacking, and I do have the reassurance of a fore stay and a very tight rig. I'm also glad I don't have the jib boom in the way when I am dealing with the anchor and its chain on the fore deck. Have you used the new arrangement much in practice yet?
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2012, 09:47 »
Just goes to show there's almost never such a thing as a completely new idea!

Strangely enough we didn't think of just dispensing with the self tacking jib! However, it was an early decision by the first few owners during the design stage that the self tacking jib would ideally be kept on the BRe, so when it came to making these changes that was still the approach. On the BRe there is so little foredeck space that dispensing with the jib boom has no advantage - I do all anchoring from the cockpit because it is an "interesting" activity moving forward to the foredeck! Speaking personally, my reluctant crew (AKA wife) is very happy not to have to manage the jib so I like the self tacking although it would be nice to be able to back the jib sometimes....

So far I haven't noticed any difference in the way the boat sails. It has been sailed in fairly light winds since this change and if we couldn't tell the difference in those conditions then I think it will be fine.
Jonathan

Julian Swindell

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2012, 10:33 »
Curiously my wife's reaction was the exact opposite. "If the jib looks after itself, what do I get to do?" We used to have a Drascombe Dabber we sailed on the west coast of Ireland. We functioned as a slick team, tacking up a narrow channel against the tide to the open bay. The one essential was that we executed perfect tacks as we passed the Sheridan's cottage. The shame if we failed to come about under Martin's ever watchful eye. I was responsible for main sail and Pam was responsible for the jib. We got pretty good.
Julian Swindell
Guillemot building blog

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2012, 11:00 »
Aha, we also had a Dabber and my wife is delighted with the BRe because she *doesn't* have to manage the jib or ensure the yard doesn't land on her (or the children) or have to pull more than 2 bits of string to reef the sail!!! Whatever it takes to get the family sailing....
Jonathan

Brian Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2012, 13:26 »
Must make heaving to a bit tricky!
BC20 #05 Amy Pearl

Rob Waller

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2012, 16:20 »
Thanks for this Jonathan. I've also had problems furling the jib. I can reach it at a stretch but it's hard to unjam the cleat, as you need to flick the line up and forward. I was wondering if there is some other kind of cleat that unjams more readily.

I've another small jib issue. The plastic shackle that secures the tack to the furling gear came open almost straight away. Took a while to work out why it wouldn't furl properly. I'm not sure if it is plastic for a reason... Or why a metal one shouldn't be used.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2012, 20:04 »
The updated setup also sorts out the unjamming problem because the furling lines are held in the cleats on the cabin roof. So no leaning forward trying to flick the line out of the cleat, etc.

I haven't encountered your second issue so hadn't noticed that this was plastic. Will look at that on mine
Jonathan

Julian Swindell

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2012, 21:07 »
Having had a bit of a trawl through, I have found the original jib furling arrangement I showed to Matt. The sketch should be below, and the full web page is here, on my original musings site

http://www.jegsweb.co.uk/boats/baycruiser/5-jib.htm

But I still think I am happier with two jib sheets. As noted, it does make heaving to a doddle, and she does heave to very satisfyingly.
Julian Swindell
Guillemot building blog

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2012, 21:26 »
So that was mid-October 2008 and 4 years on your idea has been implemented with very few changes! And to answer the questions you raised in your blog, the jib boom still swings fine and the new arrangement makes it easier to tension the jib to raise the jib boom sufficiently - in fact the 2:1 advantage makes this much easier than before. You're right about heaving to of course, but that's a problem with the self tacking jib in general.

One further minor irritation (and this is me being picky, but that's the way I am) with the jib boom is that when the jib is furled the jib boom drops and with the cabin in the way it's pot luck as to whether it drops where you want it to go...and if it falls on the side decks then the forestay tension is reduced enough to make the mast rock in the tabernacle, which is disconcerting on a choppy anchorage. I have an idea of how to fix that but it's yet another piece of string. Or we simply say that Julian was right all along..... ;)
Jonathan

david

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2012, 02:53 »
Re:Plastic shackle on jib furler. I had one of these on my Bayraider when it arrived. It promptly broke on my first sail causing me some little stress coming to the dock with it blowing and unfurled. I replaced it with a "regular" shackle with no further issues.  Not sure why the yard would put this cheap shackle on the boat in the first place.

Regards

David
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2012, 14:06 »
I said earlier in this thread that there's rarely such a thing as an original idea and I've just proved it again. I alluded to making a change such that the jib boom doesn't drop when the jib is furled. My idea is to install a line, running from the aft end of the jib boom to the forestay above the jib, to support the jib boom. In addition to supporting the jib boom when the jib is furled this will also allow more control of leach tension. This idea has already been discussed on the forum and implemented on BRs:

http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,306.msg1235.html#msg1235

I'll try this on the BRe next season.
Jonathan

Rob Waller

« Reply #12 on: 07 Feb 2013, 00:11 »
Jonathan: I see on the picture you've put in your useful library article on jib boom furling, that you have some kind of jam cleats for your halyards. Did you post-fit these yourself, and if so, what make are they, and did they fit the existing holes?

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 07 Feb 2013, 08:33 »
Rob,

These were fitted by the yard from scratch and have proved very useful. They are triple Spinlock jammers and cost an additional £80 (can't remember if that was total or per side). I suspect they wouldn't fit as a retrofit for the standard cleats so holes would have to be filled and drilled, etc.

Jonathan
Jonathan

Michael Rogers

« Reply #14 on: 08 Feb 2013, 00:06 »
Jonathan

A beautifully clear and helpful photo in your Library contribution.

I have to say, however (in a lighthearted and fellow-mariner spirit, of course) that you BR/BRe/BC sailors have forfeited any right in future to make any 'too much string' jibes in the direction of junk rig. About a third of the boat visible in the picture, and it is SMOTHERED in the stuff. Neatly organised, I grant you......

Michael