Author Topic: Sail Caledonia 2014  (Read 27169 times)

Rob Johnstone

Re: Sail Caledonia 2014
« Reply #30 on: 06 Nov 2013, 22:13 »
Thanks for the enlightenment about the meaning of water - I had assumed that someone's whisky was a bit strong for their taste and they didn't like ice.
But I can see the protest already - is an assymetric a spinnaker?
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 06 Nov 2013, 22:16 »
is an assymetric a spinnaker?

I'm afraid so.

The Loch Ness Challenge course is the full length of the loch and two thirds of the way back, so if the wind is from the SW, the return leg will be a beat. In 2012 and this year, the wind was from the NE.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #32 on: 16 Dec 2013, 12:28 »
The January/February issue of 'WaterCraft' has just arrived in my post.  There are four pages on each of Sail Caledonia (by Kathy Mansfield) and the English Raid (by Robin Popham).  Needless to say, Swallow Boats feature in both.  To quote Kathy Mansfield "This year's 'Scottish Raid' did feel like a Swallowboats works outing"!
Graham

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: 16 Dec 2013, 16:17 »
I like the first picture showing three BRs side by side (from left to right Turaco III, Sunbow III and Mallory). Apart from being a nice shot of BRs, it sums up some of the spirit of the event and also shows the fickle winds we had on Loch Oich - Mallory's flag is blowing in a different direction to Turaco's.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 16 Dec 2013, 16:24 »
This is the picture http://www.pbase.com/kathymansfield/image/150619133

For some bizarre reason, the photo reminds me of a field full of charging bullocks!
Graham

Julian Swindell

« Reply #35 on: 16 Dec 2013, 17:00 »
Interesting picture. It does show how much more sail you get set high up with a fully battened main, compared to the simpler straight luffed gunter main.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: 16 Dec 2013, 17:15 »
It was also only on SC that I also noticed the head of the fully battened sail is slightly lower than on the gunter. Presumably because the cut with the battens gives more sail area and hence less height is needed.
Jonathan

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 04 Jan 2014, 23:09 »
It was also only on SC that I also noticed the head of the fully battened sail is slightly lower than on the gunter. Presumably because the cut with the battens gives more sail area and hence less height is needed.

The BR20, according to the official SB specification, has a 53cm (7%) higher air draught compared to the BRe but a 0.7m2 (4%) smaller sail area.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 24 Jan 2014, 20:52 »
There are now 21 boats registered for Sail Caledonia, including two BRe's, five BR20's and Rob's BC23.

Surprisingly, we're having trouble drumming up applications for the sponsored place. 
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 03 Feb 2014, 23:52 »
We're full!

There are now 23 boats registered for this year's raid, plus two more provisionally registered.  This means that we have reached the maximum number of 25 boats that we can safely deal with and fit in the canal locks.

If you were thinking of entering, boats sometimes drop out so we have started a waiting list on a first come, first served basis. Don't delay if you want to be included in this list.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 11 Feb 2014, 14:59 »
We are going to offer a free place in the raid to the Shetland Yawl 'New Dawn' and its crew.  See the attached press announcement for more detail.

Of the two provisional bookings, one has decided not to participate until next year, which means that the Drascombe on the wait list now has a place.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 22 Mar 2014, 19:13 »
Just in case anyone out there likes acting on impulse, we have space for another boat on the raid because of a just-notified cancellation. See http://www.sailcaledonia.org/page6.html
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 23 Mar 2014, 12:57 »
We're looking for a camping manager/driver for the event, as unfortunately Sandie won't be able to do it this year. Last year's job description (which needs a bit of updating) is attached.

The key thing here is that it is a fairly flexible job. We need someone to be ready to do anything else that being the driver and support vehicle might be called to do. Getting outboard petrol, taking people to hospital (hopefully not), getting food shopping, helping when one of the team has forgotten something. When we’re at Foyers (Loch Ness) for example this can involve quite a bit of driving at the end of the day.  Emptying the Porta Potties is probably the least pleasant part of the duties although we may be hiring Portaloos for the campers, in which case that part of the job will be removed.

It is not as glamorous as driving a safety boat, so in addition to free board & lodging for the week it should also attract a bit of remuneration.  It might suit a spouse or friend who wants to come but doesn't like sailing.  If anyone has any ideas for a willing & cheerful participant, please let me know.
Graham

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: 01 Jun 2014, 11:21 »
That was an excellent week in the Great Glen. If I have time I might do a write-up for the site's blog. In the meantime I have added a gallery and uploaded my pictures:

http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=449&album=4&gallery=21

Perhaps others can share their pictures too? Don't forget *not* to select the "resize to 800x600" checkbox when uploading. The web site will still show a resized image without this checked and your full size image will remain available for people to view that if they wish.
Jonathan

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #44 on: 01 Jun 2014, 14:30 »
Thanks for the photos, Jonathan. I look forward to your write up and my memories of the event are extremely blurred. I'll add my photo's to the album when I can find them!

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"