Author Topic: Outboard, Do we need to reverse  (Read 8749 times)

Clem Freeman

Outboard, Do we need to reverse
« on: 12 Dec 2012, 16:45 »
Is it necessary to be able to have a reverse function, be it a gear or to turn the outboard on a small boat (Storm 17). Most of the time I would have thought it was used for those occasions when fighting a tide. Does anyone actually use one for close quarter manovering or would you just use the oars. Any thoughts or observations?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Outboard, Do we need to reverse
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2012, 18:27 »
After several close shaves during close quarter manouevres among pontoons affected by currents and cross winds, I decided that I wasn't quick enough off the mark grappling my Suzuki 2.5 into its reverse position.  So I was faced with only manouevring under oar (no problem if it is planned well enough in advance), or getting an engine with a proper reverse gear.  I need an outboard as my berth is nearly 1nm upstream from the harbour entrance.  I was unhappy with the Suzuki for several other reasons, so bought a Mariner 6hp which is in a different league altogether. And no more problems with difficult and/or unplanned manouevres.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Julian Swindell

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2012, 21:11 »
I would say if you never go into a marina, anywhere else with pontoons or a lock, you can manage quite well without reverse. But if you do go into any of those sorts of places, reverse is a god send. Spinning an outboard round just doesn't work for me. You push the stern to one side as you spin, so you have to over spin to compensate and then spin back to the middle, and by that time I have usually hit that which I was trying to avoid.
But I wish I had my gear lever on the front, as some outboards now do. Mine is down the side and practice as I might, I always have to look down to find it, just when I don't want to have to take my eye off the impending disaster developing in front of me...
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Colin Lawson

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2012, 22:15 »
Yes I agree with previous comments.  I started with a Suzuki 2.5hp which was fine out on the open water but as soon as you are in a confined space spinning the outboard was rarely viable.  When you are dealing with cross winds, strong currents in confined spaces between expensive boats, solid pontoons and mud flats plus the not very good turning circle of a BR20 and you are in a narrow channel between all these hazards and find that the channel is a dead end, then you are soon up the creek without ....

The problem is that strong winds and currents mean having the throttle well open but the large turning circle means that you can end up heading for an obstacle with insufficient time or maneuverability to take avoiding action.  In these conditions a reverse gear is the difference between an enjoyable challenge and an 'unpleasant experience'.   

Obviously if you can avoid these conditions a small outboard will be fine.

Colin
Colin 
BR20 'Spray' based Mylor, Falmouth

Colin Morley

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2012, 23:20 »
Sorry I am a bit late with this subject. I could not manage without having a motor with reverse. As has been said manoeuvring in marinas or against dock sides or trying to pick up buoys is much easier. One of the good things with the BR is that it is very shallow footed and yet this is a problem when manoeuvring in cross winds and close quarters.

I have used a 2.5 HP which has to be turned into reverse. It was a nightmare.

So if you are thinking of buying an outboard take my advice and experience and buy one with a proper neutral, forward and reverse.
Colin
BR James Caird