Author Topic: Lake Bala Rally 15/16 June  (Read 42318 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Lake Bala Rally 15/16 June
« Reply #45 on: 29 Apr 2013, 20:17 »
Reg,

Welcome to the rally. There's no more room for sleeping aboard on the pontoon but I'm sure there is plenty of space at the next door campsite http://www.penybont-bala.co.uk/

I feel like a novice at the start of every season. See you in Scotland.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Reg Barker

« Reply #46 on: 30 Apr 2013, 16:02 »
Graham
Will I be able to leave my boat at BSC on its trailer while I camp at the local campsite or can one launch directly from the campsite? Sorry I expect you have covered this, but there's a lot to read through on this Bala posting. 
BRe #11 Alice Amy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #47 on: 30 Apr 2013, 19:16 »
Graham
Will I be able to leave my boat at BSC on its trailer while I camp at the local campsite?

Yup. No launching from that campsite.  You could launch from a campsite at the other end of the lake but that's three miles away.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #48 on: 07 May 2013, 14:09 »
This is the weather that I am hoping for on Lake Bala next month - sunny with a moderate breeze from the SW.  The second photo shows the launching facilities and pontoon at the Bala Sailing Club, which we will be using.  Both photos were taken yesterday.

I have just bought an annual launching pass for the public slipway opposite the club.  At £35, a real bargain.
Graham

Bill Rollo

« Reply #49 on: 19 May 2013, 14:42 »
Dear Graham

With apologies for late notice, is it too late to join the fleet at Bala?

Best wishes

Bill Rollo

BR20 Askari

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #50 on: 19 May 2013, 21:22 »
Bill,

Not at all. Welcome!
Graham

Bill Rollo

« Reply #51 on: 20 May 2013, 06:08 »
Graham

Great! Please count me in.

Bill

Tony

« Reply #52 on: 29 May 2013, 22:31 »
Camping at Lake Bala in June?

It's "No-See-Um" City!

They'll eat you alive if the wind drops. I'm taking a gallon of Avon "Skin So Soft". It's a good repellent, doesn't smell that bad and, in an emergency, can be used to waterproof your boots. ( not recommended for lighting the barbie, though).
Don't worry. I won't forget the beer. 

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #53 on: 30 May 2013, 19:50 »
I don't think it's as bad as parts of Scotland. I also recommend Smidge.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #54 on: 01 Jun 2013, 21:57 »
I will be posting an information sheet (including a possible programme of activities) in the next few days.  I can confidently predict that it will be informal and relaxed.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #55 on: 02 Jun 2013, 21:26 »
The info sheet is ready and has already been sent to those for whom I have valid email addresses.  If you would like to receive one, please let me know your email address by pm or, less reliably, through my junk email address graham wickenden at btopenworld com, with dots in all the usual places.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #56 on: 03 Jun 2013, 16:32 »
There may be forum members out there who would like to crew on a Swallow Boat but don't have one of their own yet.  Equally, there may be Swallow Boat owners who would like some extra crew.  I'm among the latter - I haven't managed to persuade anyone to come with me yet for the Saturday sail.  Evidently my Sail Caledonia Cap'n Bligh image has preceded me.  Anyone want to put some rowing practice in?

So if anyone would like to crew as part of a press gang, let me know and I will try to match you up with a willing skipper.

I attach a copy of the info sheet for anyone who hasn't yet received one but would like to take a look.
Graham

Michael Rogers

« Reply #57 on: 03 Jun 2013, 19:41 »
I will be sailing Cavatina (Trouper 12, junk rig) solo at Bala. I'm used to sailing on my own, but needless to say (I hope), anyone who wants to come along and have a go will be most welcome. Others may prefer to admire (or otherwise) from a safe distance. She went superlatively on Saturday last, well reefed in F5-6.

Looking forward to it!

John & Isla Roberts

« Reply #58 on: 05 Jun 2013, 11:54 »
I thought I should mention something about the jetties opposite the clubhouse as I understand that some participants at the rally are intending mooring their boats to these overnight and possibly sleeping over. This will be fine as long as the weather stays good and the lake water level is no higher than it is today (1.37 m at Dee Bridge). If, however, we get some rain in the next few days, the lake level may be permitted to rise by the authorities in which case the jetty gangways and ends may become submerged. (Bala is used as a buffer reservoir and water is held back with a consequent rise in level after heavy rains in order not to flood the farmland downstream). Jetty 1 (the furthest north) can become completely submerged as it's fixed to the lake bottom. Jetties 2 & 3 have floating termini but the approach gangways are fixed and can get submerged.
We have been sailing our BR20 (#63) for 2 years on Bala and have come to rely on the EA's website for checking levels at the Dee bridge on the NE end of the lake. We prefer to launch from the jetties if possible. The weblink is at:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/riverstation.aspx?StationId=4165&RegionId=8&AreaId=12&CatchmentId=72http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/riverstation.aspx?StationId=4165&RegionId=8&AreaId=12&CatchmentId=72

We were sailing yesterday (4/6) and the water level at Dee Bridge was 1.38 m. The jetties were just usable as you can see from the attached. You can see that Jetty 1 is pretty much submerged while Jetty 2 is useable.

Looking forward to seeing you all and I'd really welcome someone showing us how to fly our spinnaker.
John & Isla Roberts

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #59 on: 05 Jun 2013, 18:21 »
Thanks for the warning - I've e-mailed the pontoon sleepover people to have a look at your post.
Graham