Author Topic: Boatbox  (Read 8613 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Boatbox
« on: 19 Jan 2013, 13:25 »
This looks like a good idea http://boatbox.co.uk/

Has anyone any experience of it?  Apparently they are exhibiting at the London Boat Show (stand SB08).  I failed to find them (or much else of interest) amongst the acres of superyachts.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

Re: Boatbox
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2013, 14:24 »
Graham

This idea was presented on the television programme "Dragons Den"; the entrepreneur is a retired naval officer who has put £80,000 into the development. He put forward a good case for investment with a number of sales under his belt and interest from several retail outlets. Unfortunately he didn't persuade any of the dragons to invest.

No mention of any built in buoyancy or places for bags.

On a positive front i heard through the grapevine that Matt was having a good show with some sales under his belt.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Boatbox
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2013, 20:04 »
No mention of any built in buoyancy or places for bags.

On a positive front i heard through the grapevine that Matt was having a good show with some sales under his belt.

Good point on Boatbox buoyancy.  And a 175kg payload is just about sufficient although a similarly-priced but much larger and heavier inflatable could take three times the weight.

One of the problems with the London Boat Show is that from the floor and as a casual browser, all you can see of most of the boats is the hull towering above you. The Swallow Boats stand (and Boatbox if I could have found it) is an honourable exception but there are too few other small boat stands to make it interesting.  I think Southampton is much more fun and is in a slightly less desolate location.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III