Author Topic: Anchoring Info Request  (Read 16114 times)

Michael Rogers

Re: Anchoring Info Request
« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2013, 21:14 »
It fits!!

Very prompt delivery (from within the UK; so someone so far anonymous is acting as UK agent/supplier for Cooper Anchors). And it fits my (ie the Trouper 12's) anchor well, with a useful bit of a wriggle which will serve, I hope, to keep it in place in the extremely unlikely event of a capsize. The anti-ding-friendliness of the nylon construction is noticeable. There is a lump of lead or similar in the extreme nose of the blade. I plan to use it with a fathom of 6mm chain, otherwise synthetic hemp line.

....all of which is fine and dandy, but the proof of the pudding/anchor is in the eating/holding power. I will report again when I have tried it out.

Michael

Peter Taylor

« Reply #16 on: 09 Apr 2013, 11:34 »
Re. the Cooper anchor, I've just bought two, one to use with my 15' sailing dinghy and one as a possible kedge for my BC20 when I get it! I'm too much of a wimp to have tried it out in the present weather, but holds well in a gravel drive (!) and it looks a much better bet than the usual folding grapnel type used in racing dinghies (which don't work!).

However a word of warning...

The official international Cooper anchor web site is http://cooperanchors.com/ and you can order them for prompt UK delivery at £32.50 for one or £49.50 for two (including postage). Beware that there is another upstart web site... http://cooperanchors.co.uk which looks "official" but isn't and is selling them for £60 each... it's fairly obvious which is the better deal!

In Australia they also sell 2.3kg and 3.5kg aluminium versions and Larry Cooper told me by email that they do plan to sell these in the UK but don't presently have a date  for when they will be available .

Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Bill Rollo

« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2013, 10:45 »
Grateful for any info on how the Cooper anchors mentioned by Peter and Michael are performing.

Many thanks

Bill Rollo

BR20 Askari

Clem Freeman

« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2013, 14:49 »
I've just bought one for my S17. The anchor I was using just pulled through the mud on the Roach when I used it this weekend. Should test the cooper by next week,will let you know.

Clem

Bill Rollo

« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2013, 10:07 »
Clem

Many thanks

Bill

Clem Freeman

« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2013, 17:18 »
Bill,

Will be a delay as the shackle off the old anchor didn't fit so I'll need to get a new one.

Clem

Bill Rollo

« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2013, 06:37 »
Clem

Thanks. Understood. Correct size will be useful to know idc.

Bill

Clem Freeman

« Reply #22 on: 03 Jun 2013, 12:07 »
Finally got to try my anchor. A 6mm shackle just about fitted. The anchor didn't hold well in our local mud, its very soft (I sink in up to my knees when walking on it). I'll try it in some other situations before giving in.

Clem

Bill Rollo

« Reply #23 on: 03 Jun 2013, 22:33 »
Clem

Thanks

Bill