Author Topic: Rowing a BayRaider  (Read 9001 times)

david

Rowing a BayRaider
« on: 01 Jul 2013, 15:56 »
Hi All,
         A question and in need of advice, for rowing my BayRaider. What do you do with the tiller? Do you have a tiller tamer, or, just let it float? How about the mizzen. Do you sheet it in, or, leave it loose?
   I have the one person set up for rowing and have not had much experience rowing the boat. I have tried a couple of times with mixed success. More due to me as the rower, than the boat!
  What have you found to be the most efficient?

Regards,

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Rowing a BayRaider
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2013, 17:24 »
Hi All,
         A question and in need of advice, for rowing my BayRaider. What do you do with the tiller? Do you have a tiller tamer, or, just let it float? How about the mizzen. Do you sheet it in, or, leave it loose?
   I have the one person set up for rowing and have not had much experience rowing the boat. I have tried a couple of times with mixed success. More due to me as the rower, than the boat!
  What have you found to be the most efficient?

Tiller fixed amidships (with a tiller tamer or just a bit of string), rudder just far enough down so that it is resting half in and half out of the water and centreboard about a third of the way down.  The last one is important, otherwise the boat will skitter all over the place - same when you are using the outboard. Unless you have some particular reason for having the mizzen out, it should be furled, otherwise you may find yourself fighting windage if you are heading more or less upwind.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III