Author Topic: Smaller mainsail for the BR20  (Read 14806 times)

david

Re: Smaller mainsail for the BR20
« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2013, 14:05 »
Hi Bill, Thanks for the reply. Many happy memories of vacations in Scotland. I just returned from Vancouver, so I can say it is well worth the trip. Nice people and great vistas. Plan on going "up Island" as the towns and coastline are well worth traveling to.

Hi Graham, Are you planning on posting the smaller sail dimensions to the library as part of your original post on this? I am planning to have one made. But it will probably not be for a year or so. I know I will have trouble finding this thread etc when it comes time for me to purchase the sail?

Regards,

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2013, 16:30 »
David,

Matt organised my smaller mainsail, so you ought to be able to get the dimensions (and maybe drawings) off him.  All I can tell you is that on my sail (and there are variations) the foot is the same length as the full-sized gunter mainsail and the luff is as high as the dumb sheave at the top of the mast.  It has two battens and one set of reefing points.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

david

« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2013, 17:01 »
Thank you Graham.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2015, 16:15 »
On Lake Bala in a gusty F6 yesterday, BR20 Gladys was wearing her gunter rig with two reefs in, while Turaco had her reduced Swiss mainsail with one reef and later with none. Both boats were ballasted. With one reef in, Turaco was quite slow but unreefed and downwind, at least, the two boats were neck and neck nearly all the way back to the slipway. Both boats exceeded hull speed for significant lengths of time.

After 18 months of using the Swiss mainsail as a mizzen staysail, the running rigging wasn't quite right but can easily be improved.  The sail was fast to rig, reef, unreef and derig. I can see the attraction of the full-sized BRe fathead mainsail.  Track below.
Graham

Bill Rollo

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jun 2015, 09:47 »
Dear Graham

Is there any chance that you might be bringing your Swiss Mainsail to Falmouth? It would be very interesting to see it and to see how you rig it, reef at sea etc.

Hope all is now well with Turaco and look forward to seeing you there,

Best wishes

Bill

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jun 2015, 10:34 »
Bill,

I certainly will but given the wind forecasts, it is more likely to be turned on its side to be used as a mizzen staysail!

It's going to be quite an event and it might even turn a bit warm.

Best,
Graham

Bill Rollo

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jun 2015, 18:40 »
Graham

many thanks - interesting to see from whichever aspect!

Best wishes

Bill