Author Topic: Tawe Nunnugah 2015 - a volunteer crew member  (Read 6609 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Tawe Nunnugah 2015 - a volunteer crew member
« on: 07 Oct 2013, 18:46 »
There were no Swallow Boats participating in the fourth biennial raid up the East coast of Tasmania in February 2013.  I think we should change that for the fifth one in February 2015.

I am volunteering as driver (very long distance on my own if necessary), crew and sharer of expenses for any Australian SB owner who fancies having a go at this with their boat. 

For those that don't know it, Tawe Nunnugah is a cruising sail & oar raid in (fairly) sheltered waters in Tasmania's late summer, covering over 100 miles.  It finishes in time to enjoy the Australian Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart. See https://sites.google.com/a/rforster.org/tawe-nunnegah/home

Any takers? Send me a pm or e-mail me on my less reliable graham dot wickenden at btopenworld dot com.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rock Doctor

Re: Tawe Nunnugah 2015 - a volunteer crew member
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2013, 13:07 »
Graham,
gave your proposal a lot of thought BUT unfortunately attending this raid is a bit of a struggle for us on in WA due to the cost and distance. Tasmania is a long haul from here, something like 4,000 kilometres including a ferry crossing. Have done it without towing and involves something like three days (1200 km/day) to Melbourne then a $4,000 ticket to get to Tas on the Bas Strait ferry. Your best bet might be to get in touch with Andrew Denman at Denman Marine who is the Swallow Boats agent here in Oz and is located near Hobart. He might be able to put you in touch with a BR owner over that side. There are two BR 20's here in Perth so if you pass through here and have some time we would love to show off our waters. Our boats show up on the Old Gaffers WA site at http://www.gaffrigsailinginwa.org/galleries/ where you will see some of our sailing grounds. The invitation is extended to any others who may be passing through.

Chris Robinson
BR20
Gryphon
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2013, 16:11 »
Thanks Chris.  Andrew D says that he'll put the word about. And thanks for the invitation - Perth is a great stopover on the way East.

Tasmania ferries are even more expensive than the Italy-Greece ones!
Graham

Rock Doctor

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2014, 11:37 »
Graham,
just out of curiosity, did you decide to go to Tasmania for the Tawe Nunnugah and Wooden Boat Festival next year. A couple of WA Old Gaffers are going over for the festival, one with a Francois Vivier "Jewell" he is in the process of completing an plans to show there. The other going boatless. At present they are both owners of Ougthred Caledonia and Ness Yawls respectively.

Hope you make it, it sounds like a great event.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:32 »
Alas! I've been diverted into skiing with the family, so won't be going next year.  Maybe the one after this one.  I see that it's possible to book a berth on the mother ship 'Yukon' http://wildiaries.com/tours/157-Tawe-Nunnagah-Raid-Tasmania-Jan-28-Feb-6-With-Yukon-Tours
Graham

Rock Doctor

« Reply #5 on: 03 Nov 2014, 10:26 »
Graham,
so be it, the Yukon sounds like a great way to follow the raid. Maybe we will try for the next one also, about time we visited Van Diemans Land. I was last there rock climbing in 1965!

Enjoy your skiing and family.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Tawe Nunnugah 2017
« Reply #6 on: 05 Mar 2017, 19:07 »
I see that a wooden BR20 called 'Hop the Wag' participated in the Tawe Nunnugah 2017 raid in Tasmania.  Does anyone know the boat?  Lucky crew!
Graham