Author Topic: Last sail of the year?  (Read 14183 times)

Peter Taylor

Re: Last sail of the year?
« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2014, 08:06 »
I sincerely hope the 30th October will not prove the last sail this year but the present weather is keeping Seatern firmly attached to the jetty! Anyway here is a suitably autumnal photo from the sail! The Isle of Wight is in the background and the Training Ship Royalist approaching,
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Peter Taylor

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2014, 09:31 »
29th December:  Slept on board overnight, motored down River Itchen in the cold and dark, picked up a mooring at Weston Shelf and had breakfast while it got light.  For once the current and wind allowed me to raise the main from the cockpit.  While congratulating myself, allowed Seatern to go aground.  Ended up in less than 0.5m and had to steer Seatern off using the mizzen!  Now running towards Hamble Spit, switched on ballast pump which blew a fuse - I guess water in the pump had frozen.  This also stopped the Tiller Pilot working.  The string and pulley on the Tiller Tamer were already disconnected (having frozen during the night).  Threatened with actually having to steer, I hove to and fixed the electrics.  At Hamble Spit decided to take advantage of the lack of the normal traffic jams and motored up the River Hamble.  A storm cone flying over the Harbour Master’s office turned out to be a Christmas Tree. Hadn’t realised just what a huge parking lot for boats the Hamble has become... but only 4 boats actually moving (Seatern being one).  Nowhere to moor (without being charged) or anchor (without being prosecuted).  Back outside the river anchored for lunch and then motored home because I didn’t fancy beating up Southampton Water in the cold.  Glad to get back to the friendly River Itchen. Last sail of the year (well, I did sail a bit of the way!).
Happy New Year everyone, lets hope it soon gets warmer!
Peter
Peter Taylor

Michael Rogers

« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2014, 11:10 »
On 29th it was minus 11 overnight on the farm where my wife's horse is currently stabled, and a thickish layer of white frost on the boat cover outside the window here until the sun got to it. Nuff said? Peter, I think you must be (very nicely) bonkers, and I look forward to meeting you!

Happy New Year, one and all! For some reason(s), the waiting for winter to pass this year seems particularly trying.

Michael

Andy Dingle

« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2014, 18:12 »
Well done Peter.. winter sailing can be really satisfying, and adding different challenges to the experience!
I went to my boat the other day (28th), but four inches of frozen snow covering the boat and the slipway, put paid to any idea's I had of getting out for a sail - shame as it was a beautiful clear sunny day with a modest F2 westerly... Hoping now for this Saturday..

I am currently confusing myself over NMEA multiplexing.. I read your article on your website on this subject and I would love the opportunity to pick your brains? I'll probably open another thread to explain what I am up to and would welcome your views..?
This and taking a NMEA output off the NASA wind clipper to feed into a chart plotter..  providing it can read the MWV sentence...

Andy
Baycruiser 23 No. 25 'Equinox'

Peter Taylor

« Reply #19 on: 02 Jan 2015, 15:13 »
On 29th it was minus 11 overnight on the farm where my wife's horse is currently stabled, and a thickish layer of white frost on the boat cover outside the window here until the sun got to it.
Hi Michael, fortunately I live on the sub-tropical River Itchen where it was only -2C; also when at the jetty I have a mains powered dehumidifier in the boat that tends to keep the inside temperature around 5C or greater!

Hi Andy, happy to contribute to a thread on NMEA, but you should remember I mainly failed in what I was attempting! Relevant to one problem, getting a Raymarine Tiller Pilot to listen to NASA wind data, I've come across www.gadgetpool.de which looks to have some useful ...err "gadgets" ...to couple between NMEA and Seatalk. But I guess thats for a Technical" thread?!

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Taylor

Guy Rossey

« Reply #20 on: 06 Jan 2015, 14:19 »
My last sail of the year was on water... paper and pigments. Dreaming at good times to come in the near future. Already now, two minutes more sun every day... just have to wait a bit. Happy New Year to you!