Author Topic: WANTED in Australia  (Read 4543 times)

Roge

WANTED in Australia
« on: 29 Nov 2013, 11:29 »
Bayraider 20 or 17 wanted in Australia

++61 0434959621

Roge

Re: WANTED in Australia
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2013, 09:55 »
Got one  :)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2013, 20:06 »
Roge,

Congratulations and please tell us more.  For example, where are you in Australia and why did you choose a BR (and which one) compared to other possibilities?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Roge

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2013, 10:58 »
I live in Stroud NSW the nearest major city being Newcastle about 3 hrs North of Sydney. We are likely to be sailing in Port Stephens Bay which is approximately twice the size of Sydney Harbour. It is also interlinked to fresh water lakes via its feeder river system.
I have in the past  ha Drascombes and set out to find a Longboat relatively light, rowable, small outboard, easily launched ........................ and set up right has good sailing qualities. I sail with my wife and used to race catamarans, Hobie and Hurricane, she has a back injury that precludes that sot of shenanigans so the boat has to be fun a performer and bit of fishing. The Bayraider 20 fitted the requirement but too expensive. No Drascombes and importing one by the time shipping duties and compliance stuff is done is just as expensive. So back to the BR20 non to be found bugger. We looked at the Amity Classic, lovely boat but you sit on it with no option to sit in so not ideal, back to the BR and one pops up in Tasmania more than I wanted to pay but just what we wanted so that's it. All we have to do now is get it this side of the Bass Strait.
Its a Australian built wooden wested boat with spinnaker on a furler, spray hood, gunter rigged (gets undr bridges) and most of the other options fitted. We are looking forward very much to getting back onto the water.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2013, 20:08 »
Port Stephens looks like a great sailing area.  A bit like the UK's Poole Harbour but four times the size. And slightly more exotic-looking http://www.widehorizons.com.au/oport.html
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rock Doctor

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2013, 00:44 »
Roge,
congratulations on your acquisition. There are two BR20s in WA where we race with the Old Gaffers and enjoy "excursions" and raids with like trailerables. Best decision I made given age, bad back, love of single handing, etc, etc, etc.

Have a look at http://www.gaffrigsailinginwa.org/c-fleet where you will see some of our fleet and activities.

Hope you get you boat soon.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Roge

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2013, 12:16 »
Port Stephens looks like a great sailing area.  A bit like the UK's Poole Harbour but four times the size. And slightly more exotic-looking http://www.widehorizons.com.au/oport.html

S\I have sailed in Poole Harbour many times the last time on a windsurfer on New Years Day bloody freezing as I forgot my wet suit boots. We came to South Australia in 2005 and just moved to NSW in November. we re looking forward getting back at it when we get the boat and start exploring. Thanks Rock Doctor for the link it would be good if something similar occurred here I will have to research this a little

Roge

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2014, 10:15 »
Well here she is "Little White Lies" 2600kms round trip to pick her up.