Author Topic: Yamaha /Tohatsu 4hp out board 2 or 4 Stroke  (Read 9640 times)

Roge

Yamaha /Tohatsu 4hp out board 2 or 4 Stroke
« on: 05 Jan 2014, 10:00 »
For a BR20 what are the preferences and pros and cons of either?

Clem Freeman

Re: Yamaha /Tohatsu 4hp out board 2 or 4 Stroke
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jan 2014, 09:15 »
I've got a tohatsu 4hp four stroke (which I'm selling) which I used last year to bring my Dauntless 23 down the Thames from Hampton Court to Rochford. It performed faultlessly and had plenty of power. The only downside is its quite heavy but I don't know how the weight compares with others.

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2014, 10:23 »
Roge

I have the Yamaha 4 hp one major consideration if you are buying new or under 5 yrs old is the transfer of warranty rules, unless its been changed Tohatsu warranty did not allow this.

I recently serviced mine at home and engine oil (no filter) spark plug, petrol filter, cooling impeller, gearbox oil, were all easily obtainable parts and straight forward to fit.

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Andy Dingle

« Reply #3 on: 08 Jan 2014, 19:28 »
Just a few pointers to go a bit towards answering your question Roge.

The subject of engines for the Bayraider has been discussed at length and much depends on where you will be sailing and how you feel you could cope with a heavier engine that can weigh up to 30 kg.
You will be very lucky to get hold of a 2 stroke engine, as due to emission controls they have not been for sale for several years now. Second hand ones are still available though.
Two strokes are a lot lighter and more convenient. Whereas the four strokes are heavy beasts and usually rely on an external fuel tank which will have to be stowed somewhere, a lot of owners stash it away in one of the lockers with a hole drilled through to take the fuel line.

The Bayraider does not need a large engine to push it along - a lot of owners manage perfectly well with 2 - 3 hp engines. Others will argue (me included) that you really do need a more powerful engine when pushing against a strong tide or river current etc.

The smaller engines tend not to have a reverse gear, going to stern relies on the engine twizzling around in the outboard well. Some owners have reported that some engines are too large to effectively twizzle round inside the well. I personally maintain that a proper forward/reverse gear is very useful, especially if manoevering in any kind of current or wind.

The choices of engine will always be debatable and is very much dependant on how and where you will be sailing. On a lake or static water, get a smaller engine - two stroke is ideal if you can get hold of one (I use a tohatsu 3.5 two stroke which I just happened to have) for these conditions, but at sea I use a tohatsu 5 four stroke. Both have forward and reverse gears.

As regards pitting one maker of engines against another, I do not think there is much in it, all are pretty reliable and costs are all much the same. As Peter pointed out, servicing is relatively simple and can be done at minimum cost. I have tohatsu just through personal preference as i always have used them.

Hope this snippet will be of some use to you.

Regards

Andy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jan 2014, 21:18 »
The subject of engines for the Bayraider has been discussed at length

See also
http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=347
http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,248.0.html

You will be very lucky to get hold of a 2 stroke engine, as due to emission controls they have not been for sale for several years now.

In the EU new 2-strokes (except existing stocks) have effectively been banned from sale for recreational use since the end of 2006. The US's newer restrictions seem to be slightly more nuanced, which probably explains Roge's question.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

david

« Reply #5 on: 09 Jan 2014, 00:15 »
My two cents! I have a 2HP Honda. It runs great with no issues. I do not have a reverse gear. I found out, much to the delight of the gallery at the marina, that a reverse gear is a good thing. I was turning my engine in the well, (for reverse), only to find the boat going every which way but the one I intended! I managed to "save" the situation with no collisions. But everyone was betting against me in the gallery :)
  I am currently saving for a 5HP with Foward, neutral and reverse options. I am told that the Tohatsu 5HP is a little quieter than the Honda 5HP. But, I think it is like what was mentioned above, it depends on your personal preference.

Regards,

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Roge

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2014, 23:35 »
I tried a Yamaha 4hp  4 Stroke which did ot fit it was ok when "down' but when up in the well the tiller would not clear rhe engine even when it was tipped to one side.
I ended up with a 5 hp Yamaha 2 stroke engine which is the same size and weight as the 4hp and the 6 for that matter. This engine has an integral tank and a remote tank facility and fuel tap with internal, off , remote positions. Apparently the emission from this engine are as good as the 4 stroke and can be used here.