Author Topic: Cross contamination  (Read 14868 times)

Tony

Re: Cross contamination
« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2014, 22:39 »
Hi, Jim.
Having seen U-tube videos of dozens of large silver carp leaping into the air in panic at the approach of a small boat, it is easy to understand the concern.....and how the term “aggressive” came to be applied to an introduced species which feeds exclusively on plankton (or so I read on Wikkipedia and elsewhere).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10646283/US-moves-to-curb-invasion-of-aggressive-Asian-carp.html
The pressure to DO something becomes extreme!

That said, ill considered, poorly researched “quick fixes” such as  the farcical Rotenone poisoning schemes (see link  http://www.counterpunch.org/2009/12/09/how-to-kill-a-carp/  )    have a long history of  disastrous  failure -  and spending $18 billion to protect an already degraded ecosystem (with no guarantee of success) seems pointless. Perhaps your “leave it for a century” suggestion would be the less damaging option.
However, I don't think the same approach  should be applied to all cases.  Otherwise pristine ecosystems or areas where an entire  rare species could be wiped out – such as Lake Bala, don't forget – need special, thoroughly researched treatment. If this requires a total ban on recreational use of such waters by visiting boats, so be it! 
We have lived for at least two centuries in an era when wildlife (for want of a better expression) needs protection from humans, not  the other way around.

Andy.
Your suggestion that we eat our way out of the plague of American Signal Crayfish sounds good (and they certainly taste good - and are twice the size of the native species I used to catch as a nipper!) but it ain't that simple:-
Large Signal crayfish can be cannibalistic, so in areas where they haven't yet bumped off all the native species, removing the big daddy Signals means a population explosion of smaller Signals, eating everything in sight to take over top spot. Unfortunately this includes the poor little natives. Ooops!
Crayfish trappers, canoeists and presumably, trailer sailors moving from water to water, are quite likely to spread spores of the fungal disease, crayfish plague, often carried by Signals, which native species have no resistance to. Incidentally, power washing your boat and trailer will not remove all the microscopic life they've picked up. The fungal spores can survive for at least two weeks on damp clothing, wet tyres etc.  Strong Iodoform disinfectants will kill them, along with anything else it meets on its way down through the water table! Luckily, dunking everything in the sea will do it, too. (After you've infected every ditch you pass on the way to the sea, that is!)
Check out the link for more bad news!
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/38045.aspx

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2014, 16:23 »
Good God.I thougt the Signal/Native crayfish debate was confined to these Swedish(fresh)
waters...it is especially infected(ahem) here because Ritually Eating Crayfish,boiled in dill,in August,with lanterns and crazy hats,is one of the defining elements of Swedishness
taught to poor newly-arrived and tolerably bemused Iraquis etc.In their universe,an Ancient Custom is maybe 2000 years old.However,it is a super excuse for getting blotto,the norm being "one dram per claw".

Don't look at me,I'm an ethnic Norwegian.Different problems.
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Tony

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2014, 23:30 »
H, Johan.

Norwegians with problems? Ha!
 I was a student in the NE in the Sixties – along with a few hundred super-confident Norwegian guys. The only problems they  ever admitted to was the difficulty of getting enough women or Newcastle Brown Ale! (Not that they ever appeared lacking  in either to my jealous eye...)
I avoided the latter (Newcastle Royal Inf was reputed to have a ward devoted exclusively to Broon Ale victims.) preferring the Union subsidised Federation Ale, while the former were fairly successful at avoiding me!
With all this Crayfish  and Aquavit (Akevitt ?) consumption (a habit the Brits could well  benefit from to relax their upper lips!) are any of your thousands of lakes free of the imported Signals and the fungus disease they are vectors for? Does anyone care as long as the supply meets demand?