Author Topic: How do you 'clean' Velcro?  (Read 8314 times)

Michael Rogers

How do you 'clean' Velcro?
« on: 10 Apr 2014, 12:53 »
This probably belongs on a haberdashery forum, but so far as I'm concerned it does relate mainly to maritime applications.

I have several instances of fairly important velcro fastenings which are silting up on the 'micro-hook' side with fragments of thread, fluff etc, to an extent which jeopardises the effectiveness of the bind. I have thought to take a fine wire brush to the problem, but am concerned that this would cause as much damage as help. Picking away manually is not very effective and boring.

Any ideas? Have I overlooked something obvious?

Michael

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: How do you 'clean' Velcro?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2014, 14:24 »
Michael,

Google is your friend! http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Velcro
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Michael Rogers

Re: How do you 'clean' Velcro?
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2014, 15:41 »
Of course, I should have thought of that, Graham! Google is not exactly a friend, I approach it with caution in case it might bite or something. I am, as I may have mentioned before, a fossil in these matters *, but thanks anyway.

The recommended process involves up to 10 (TEN) stages! Worth it, though, when the velcro on my trusty sailing 'topcoat' declines to function. I will apply myself.

Michael

*Actually, I may have my new VHF radio (plus licence) to play with at Ullswater, so possibly I'm not a totally lost cause.