Author Topic: Mast raising on Baycruiser 23  (Read 8294 times)

Ian Cowie

Mast raising on Baycruiser 23
« on: 13 Apr 2014, 09:04 »
I have a keen interest in Swallow Boats and the Baycruiser 23.

As a trailer sailor with my Drascombe Coaster the mast folded in the tabernacle is within the length of the boat and is easy to raise.

I note the BC23 has a mast which is detached from it's tabernacle whilst trailing.

How easy or difficult is it to step the mast and raise it. Do any owners use any gadgets to help in raising and is it possible to do this single handed.

Do any forum members have any information.

Ian Cowie

Simon Reeve

Re: Mast raising on Baycruiser 23
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2014, 21:22 »
Ian,
I have not tried single-handed as I usually have a crew to hand, and she stays rigged at Rutland for most of the year. However the mast is relatively light, easy to manouevre and i would have thought with practice, this should be possible.
Simon

Rob Johnstone

Re: Mast raising on Baycruiser 23
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2014, 11:42 »
It's not too difficult to raise the mast on a BC 23 by yourself. It just needs a bit of pre planning.
I secure one end of the job haliyard to the ring that secures the foot of the jib, run the other end through the jib block at the hounds and then run that end through the bow roller (if you haven't got a bow roller, use a spare block) and then take it aft, round one of the winches (just to hold it in place until the next stage). Depending on the length of your jib haliyard, you may have to tie another piece of rope to the haliyard to make it long enough.

I put a plank across the cockpit locker tops and, standing on that, lift the mast over my right shoulder. I step forward to the apron in front of the companionway, and then climb onto the cabin roof, whilst still supporting the mast and pulling on the haliyard with one hand. Ideally, I need a step to help me with this and I use my toolbox to make it easier to get up on the cabin roof.

Once on the cabin roof, the mast can be hoisted by either pulling on the haliyard (because by now there's quite a good angle between the mast and the deck and the haliyard has much better purchase), or a combination of walking forward pushing the mast up and pulling in the haliyard. Our leader Matt can do the thing without the need for the step or the haliyard, but then he's (a) taller than I and (b) at least 30 years younger!

I made up an A frame to improve the purchase of the haliyard but, as it takes time to rig, I have stopped using it.

Hope this helps
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"