Author Topic: Going for a swim?  (Read 67328 times)

Julian Swindell

Re: Going for a swim?
« Reply #60 on: 30 Aug 2011, 13:46 »
I just read an unrelated comment on the Wooden Boat forum and thought, what a simple idea. Fit a rope between each corner of the stern (this was a transom boat) which is loose enough to hang down into the water over the back, so you can put a foot into it to heave yourself up out of the water. When not in use, it can be used as a towing bridle for a dinghy, or just bunched up loose above the tiller. The same thing could be done on a double-ender, just fitting the rope ends a bit further forward of the stern.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Tony

« Reply #61 on: 03 Sep 2011, 15:40 »
Sorry, Julian.
Doesn’t work on a double ender like the Storms and the CBL, I’ve tried it.
Fixed a rope to the two stern cleats, threw it over the stern and, ever hopeful, dived over the side. Action and reaction being equal and opposite, surfaced to a tirade of extremely un-ladylike language and a bottle of sun-cream hurled at my head. (It was factor 50 so quite heavy) The violent rocking I caused during take-off had dumped my wife onto the bottom boards, a situation up with which she would not put.  Anyway, found rope, inserted foot, grabbed gunnel either side of the rudder and heaved. 
The rope promptly disappeared under the boat propelled by my legs, which were carefully positioned   either side of the rudder to avoid the tipping problem. I leave the rest to your imagination. Luckily, I have all the children I need already. Oh, Yes. I cut my shin on the propeller, too.  (NB In a seaway that motor is going up and down like a meat cleaver. No way I’d even attempt to board over the stern of a double ender.)
Ideally you really need something at shoulder height to pull on as well as two steps, one a foot or 18 inches below the surface and another at the surface. That way you can get your weight inboard asap to reduce the heeling moment.
My best answer with the CBL is a knotted  25mm rope tied to the grab rail on the far side of the cabin top, tied to a rope ladder on the near side. The ladder has two large fenders attached which seems enough added buoyancy to reduce the heeling and stops your legs going under the boat. You can then, after giving wife due warning, crawl up over the cabin top from knot to knot like the Monster from the Black Lagoon.  Hope the crude sketch gives you the idea.
This is obviously useless in an emergency – the only time I have been overboard involuntarily I took the precaution of swamping the boat by rolling it over first. Only had about 6inches of freeboard to worry about!
All this is such a faff that we usually run the boat into a foot or so of water off a nice quiet beach and swim from there. Two methods are employed.
1. Head straight for the beach, drop anchor and feed it over the stern until wife thinks its shallow enough to wade to shore. She will get her eye in after a couple of mistakes. Fix a shore line so you can pull the boat closer in or further out at will. Abuse wife on inability to tie a round turn and two half hitches successfully. This completes the process.
2. If wind roughly parallel to shore (rare but it can happen),  drop anchor 10m from shore, let out 20m of anchor warp. To re-board, tow boat to shore, hop on and the wind swings you off again.
N.B. A well kept wife in reasonable physical trim and wearing flippers can tow the CBL at about 1.5 knots, as measured by GPS...until she realises whats going on, of course.  Small petrol savings all add up, though.

Michael Rogers

« Reply #62 on: 05 Sep 2011, 23:14 »
Tony

You really have excelled yourself. I think I laugh a fair amount (why? - a topic for discussion some other time, and probably place as we are supposed to confine ourselves to sailing topics here -aren't we?), but this (your post above) had me bellowing with laughter when I first read it, and chortling most of the time since. J K Jerome, eat your heart out (that's a funny [peculiar] expression, come to think of it). and that's another pint on me when we meet. My respects to your lady wife - I hope she finds you amusing at least sometimes.

On the topic, from this point of view I look forward to a boat with a wide (and elegantly curved, by the way) transom with a low rudder head (because the tiller goes through, not over, the transom) on which to get a knee or foothold should one need it. I'm referring to my in-build Trouper.The inherent difficulty of getting back aboard a double ender, especially in an emergency is, I have to admit a big negative, much as I love the type otherwise. The only time I have so far had to re-board my Storm Petrel from the water was when, like Tony, I filled the boat with water first by capsising - a rather humiliating re-entry, but not difficult.

Tony

« Reply #63 on: 07 Sep 2011, 12:10 »
My respects to your lady wife - I hope she finds you amusing at least sometimes.

Hello, Michael. "Lady Wife" here.
I am afraid I must dash your hopes. No, I do not find him amusing. Not in the slightest. Have you any idea what it is like to be married to someone like that? He cant even go out and buy cat food without something weird happening.
With a bit of luck the batteries on his pacemaker will run out soon and we will all get a bit of peace, not to mention the insurance money. 
Any offers for the Four Sisters, by the way? Its cluttering up the front garden at the moment and I have told him if it doesnt go soon I will put it on e-bay.

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #64 on: 07 Sep 2011, 17:06 »
Well,M`dear,your gain(?)would be our loss..for myself,a kindred spirit in various,self-inflicted forms of wet-phase adversity is a great consolation..I think,totally out of order of course,that my own wife is quite content to have hubristic misadventures and episodes of pre-senile marine disorientation take place in periods of what she calls,if you please,pub-crawls afloat.What she gets is a low-profile,
apologetic,eager-to-please house-husband,trying to hide his bruises..
until Original Sin kicks in again!
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Tony

« Reply #65 on: 07 Sep 2011, 18:49 »

...until Original Sin kicks in...!

Lady Wife here. (I hate that,but I refuse to use my real name. Its unlikely, I know, but someone who knows me might read this.)

Johan - I've managed to get to the computer first again and hope I am not too late. You appear to be a gentleman of some education, or at least to have swallowed a ruddy dictionary, and your attitude to you wife does you credit, so I am assuming you additionally possess enough Emotional Intelligence to understand my feelings.
Would you please NOT mention any original sins to my (it must be said) easily led husband. He already causes enough problems with just the everyday un-original ones. 
A woman can only take so much and my nerves have been on edge since the incident with the laminated tiller.

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #66 on: 07 Sep 2011, 20:44 »
Well..speaking of sins,I have indeed been accused of Deadly Sin #8(?),
Locquacitas,she of the superfluous words,before!

Might we possibly try to edge from the Maelstrom of brimming frustrations,to the Blessed Calm of matters technical?

What did happen with the laminated tiller?

My wife also accuses me of this:when overpressed with argument,divert to another topic!Namely,best workplace one-liner so far this autumn:

Patient half awake on table.Theater Nurse X drops metal instrument tray,causing fearsome racket.Patient:Izzat waddeycall Death Metal?

Best/Johan
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #67 on: 07 Sep 2011, 22:18 »
Speaking of sins,again,may I suggest that to a Christian,without Sin,there is no Grace..

Or,Julian,DAISY Grace perhaps,could you expand on that?

For myself,the most profound spiritual moment,a libation to Great Poseidon on Cape Sounion.

On the subject of libations..cheers!

/Johan
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Tony

« Reply #68 on: 10 Sep 2011, 13:18 »

For myself,the most profound spiritual moment,a libation to Great Poseidon on Cape Sounion.

/Johan

Kap Sounion, eh?
It may be a Pagan taste but I, too, enjoy a drink with an ancient monument. That reminds me. There's an OGA Trailer section meeting at Ullswater soon.........

(P.S. Trust my wife to bring up the laminated tiller incedent. I would rather not discuss the matter, thanks all the same.)

Julian Swindell

« Reply #69 on: 10 Sep 2011, 20:39 »
Hi Johna
Daisy Grace is simply my mother's name. Nothing spiritual about her! It's a good boaty name and I named my Mirror Dinghy after her, when I got it just after she died. My daughter said that my current boat really ought to be Daisy Grace 2, but being pedantic in response I said it should really e Daisy Grarce 3, counting my Mum as 1. But Daisy Grace she is.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #70 on: 30 Nov 2012, 20:56 »
I have posted to the library an article on 'Boarding ladder for a Bayraider'.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Colin Morley

« Reply #71 on: 01 Dec 2012, 21:27 »
Thank you for the article in the library. I would like to get one made. Please could you give us some more detailed measurements and drawings. Although the photos are good it is not easy to see some details.
Colin
BR James Caird

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #72 on: 01 Dec 2012, 21:57 »
Thank you for the article in the library. I would like to get one made. Please could you give us some more detailed measurements and drawings. Although the photos are good it is not easy to see some details.
No drawings, I'm afraid.  I showed the fabricator what I wanted and he just did it, first time. I can give you his phone number if you want.
Graham

Colin Morley

« Reply #73 on: 01 Dec 2012, 21:59 »
Thanks the details of the person who made it for you would be very useful.
Colin
BR James Caird

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #74 on: 02 Dec 2012, 08:28 »
Sent by email.
Graham