Author Topic: Sail Caledonia 2015  (Read 13524 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: Sail Caledonia 2015
« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2015, 12:12 »
John,

Don't even think of not taking a motor unless you are doing the Highlander Challenge, and even then I'd take a motor "just in case"! Rowing a BRe is heavy work and for the past 2 years there have been headwinds for much of Sail Caledonia and you will appreciate the motor for the non-racing canal sections unless you are a dedicated and fit rower. I also think there's a safety point here - the Beauly Firth, for example, is a wide and exposed body of water with strong tides and I would certainly feel happier with a motor there regardless of how much use it gets.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2015, 07:31 »
It looks like there will be fair winds for the raid - at least F3/4 every day and always from astern.  Perfect for the rowing races and for ensuring that the oars can stay stowed during the sailing races.

Good luck everyone!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2015, 15:05 »
The first photos from the raid have been posted https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sail-Caledonia/148794295156229?v=wall
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2015, 23:14 »
Stand by for some really excellent Swallow Boat news.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2015, 10:35 »
BR20 'Gladys' (M. Peacock prop.) swept the board this year, winning the Swallow Boats trophy and the Loch Ness Challenge in just over six hours - they must have been flying, as even a crow has to cover 27 nautical miles to complete the course.  To top it all, 'Gladys' was the 2015 overall winner. This is the second time that a BR20 has scooped the pool, proving that you don't necessarily need a SeaRaider to do a proper job.

Well done to Matthew and his crew.  I gather it rained quite a lot this year but at least there was plenty of wind and it wasn't on the nose.
Graham

Matthew P

« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2015, 16:06 »
Sail Caledonia was again a most enjoyable event with great camaraderie between all boats, crews and support staff.  Anyone who appreciates stimulating company, laughter, live music, good food, occasionally challenging sailing, interesting small boats and a memorable experience should come. The Sail Caledonia Spirit developed during through the week as we all got to know each other, old friendships were renewed and new ones forged.  It is a truly international event with crews and boats from Sweden, Holland, Italy and France as well as distant corners of the UK.

The organisation and support staff are efficient and keep just the right balance between ensuring safety, keeping things moving and maintaining a fun and sociable atmosphere.  The live music and homely food are perfect for restoring minds and bodies at the end of physically active days.   

This year the weather was cool, with a dramatic mix of showers and sunshine but no midges. Even though we camped, we did not get soaked. The wind varied from flat calm to W-NW F4-F5, providing exciting sailing and occasional rowing for those who could be bothered during racing.
The racing was the icing on the cake and the last reason why anyone should attend. Many boats are justifiably content to cruise and enjoy the scenery but for the sad souls who like to race the competition was sometimes intense. Gladys was almost beaten by Moirach on the first race, Ristie led all the way down Loch Ness but we had the crew weight to sail back without reefing and Ella did well to over-take 2 boats in the rowing pursuit race when Gladys only just held her own.

Gladys was successful this year it was because:

a)   Andrew Peers, “the nut on the helm”, is a brilliant helmsman and tactician.
b)   Mick Byrne is a great crew; a powerful oarsman, willing to hang out and hang on when     required, steadfast and cheerful.
c)   Graham very kindly loaned us his precious CF oars which made rowing almost pleasurable as well as efficient
d)   Other boats were helpful, freely providing lifts (thanks Ristie and Ella) and loaning tools and expertise (thanks Auk) when, ahem, repairs were necessary.
e)   Gladys is a Swallow Boats Bayraider! 

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2015, 17:26 »
There were three capsizes amongst the fleet this year, which shows how difficult conditions were.  Needless to say, none of them were Swallow Boats.  The last time there was even a single capsize was 2012.
Graham

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #22 on: 31 May 2015, 19:33 »
Vagabond was there again, bumping into old friends and various bits of jetties and land etc. We had an exhilerating down wind run under jib alone to the n.e end of Loch Ness, touching over 6 knots several times. I've only just recovered!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: 31 May 2015, 23:14 »
Well done to everyone who took part in Sail Caledonia but particularly to Matthew and his crew.

Matthew - I maintain the Sail Caledonia website (albeit less frequently than I should) so would you mind if I added your words as a quote on the site?
Jonathan

Matt Newland

« Reply #24 on: 01 Jun 2015, 07:42 »
Matthew,
Congratulations from all of us at Swallow Boats on your success at Sail Caledonia!
I really must get up there again one day to try my hand against you and your crew!

Best wishes,
Matt

John Perry

« Reply #25 on: 01 Jun 2015, 10:43 »
As a first-timer myself and with three other folks sailing Moireach, we had a great time during the Sail Caledonia week. The opportunity to sail, row and chug up the Great Glen is stunning. Hats-off to the Martin and his team for providing a safe and enjoyable environment to do that in. We enjoyed our accommodation on one of the Taransay cruisers, getting to know our fellow residents, and the opportunity to chat and mill around with all the participants and helpers was a highlight of the week. The Bay Raiders all looked good, but there were also other stunning examples of hand-crafted boats; how they made it along Loch Ness still amazes me. In all this mix our schoolboy French and Italian was tested with those that had come from Europe. which added another dimension to events. The week was a challenge, but in a good way; we enjoyed the thrashing around the cans as much as we enjoyed the quieter times and meeting a great bunch of people. To next time!
John,
Bay Raider Expedition 030, "Moireach"

Matthew P

« Reply #26 on: 01 Jun 2015, 11:14 »
Matthew,
Congratulations from all of us at Swallow Boats on your success at Sail Caledonia!
I really must get up there again one day to try my hand against you and your crew!

Best wishes,
Matt

Thanks Matt.  How about coming to Ullswater 13th June when Turaco, Moireach, Ristie, Gladys and other Sail Caledonia veterans will be there to challenge? Although someone more competent than me will need to organise a race if that is what folks want.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 01 Jun 2015, 23:20 »
This video gives an indication of the conditions on Loch Ness this year https://www.facebook.com/belinda.rapley.7/videos/917865228275534/
Graham

david

« Reply #28 on: 02 Jun 2015, 04:11 »
Good video. Down wind in a following "sea".. Always an exciting sail. Similar  conditions  for me, coming back into the harbour this weekend. I had the  following  sea coming through the rudder hole in the stern of my BayRaider . No harm done though as it just went out of the  outboard  well! It was exciting  though.....
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 04 Jun 2015, 21:57 »
John Macpherson's pictures from this year's Sail Caledonia are now online:

http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/VUFq3OdI/1/6921871
Jonathan