Author Topic: Fixed VHF Radio Installation in my BR20  (Read 8452 times)

Rock Doctor

Fixed VHF Radio Installation in my BR20
« on: 05 Jul 2014, 04:21 »
Good morning all, probably good evening (late) to most.

I am messing about attempting to install a fixed VHF marine radio to my BR20 while winter comes upon us. I am hoping someone else has tried this or has some suggestions. Handheld VHF while useful for boat-to-boat comms over short distances, we sail quite a way offshore or some distance from shore-based receivers so a fixed VHF with a range of the order of 20 miles is almost mandatory.

Proving to be a bit of a problem as follows:

1. position - should be readily accessible to the helm on either tack (I usually sail solo).
Have looked a fixing it to the rear end of the centreboard case but that means moving my compass - to where? Another option is to fit it in the recess at the rear where I usually store a fender - this is only really accessible on a tack or down wind. Up front on the "bulkhead" under the mast step (or either side) good access to my present battery box but hard to get while underway.

2. aerial - should be located as high up as possible. Looking at fitting to mizzen and running cable down inside the sleeve but requires a waterproof coupling so mizzen can be removed. Possibly can be fitted to mast top but requires some modification to masthead silverware to accommodate the aerial bracket (am also fitting a bowsprit and forestay so some mods are necessary anyway). The mizzen mount option is probably the best in my opinion.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

We antipodeans wish you all good sailing for the northern spring and summer.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Fixed VHF Radio Installation in my BR20
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2014, 16:27 »
If I need to extend my radio range (not normally necessary on Lake Bala!), I have an emergency VHF aerial that I can attach to my handheld and then run up the mast on the spinnaker halyard.  http://www.foxsmarineandcountry.com/products/v-tronix-sl156-shorelink-emergency-antenna-by-shakespeare
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2014, 16:47 »
I suggest that Grahams solution is worth following up. I don't think there many marine VHF sets that are waterproof and
NOT handheld!
RobJ
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Rock Doctor

« Reply #3 on: 06 Jul 2014, 10:25 »
Thanks Graham and Rob,
Thanks for your comments today.

Graham's suggestion has merit however handhelds, e.g. my GME GX660 has a maximum transmit power of 5 watts and whilst aerial height will improve range the range equation is aerial height AND transmission power.

My new ICOM M304 has a transmit power of 25 watts by comparison and is "submersible" i.e. the specs state "1m immersion for 30 minutes" so should withstand the usual dampness apart from an extended bottling of the boat. The aerial will be at least 3m above sea level and that should allow me continuous contact with the various sea rescue groups with whom we would log in with on an extended voyage.

I will still have my handheld on board as a backup in any case.

Regards from Oz.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"