Author Topic: Odd-looking boats  (Read 36171 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Odd-looking boats
« Reply #30 on: 12 Aug 2016, 15:33 »
This one is dividing opinion - my family like it (except for the bling interiors), I think it's quite ugly.  It's called Eos and is owned by Barry Diller (Fox, Paramount, Expedia, etc etc).
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tim Riley

« Reply #31 on: 12 Aug 2016, 19:27 »
I am impressed graham that you got to see inside. Did you come up alongside and ask how many sails he can have up at once?
Cheers
Tim
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #32 on: 12 Aug 2016, 20:58 »
He has even more sails than me!  On the other hand, I bet he uses his engines most of the time.

The Dillers (Barry and his wife Diane von Furstenberg) are entertaining the Rothschilds (our near neighbours) on board tonight.  Unfortunately, we had a prior engagement.....

Here's the interior.  Not that I've ever been there but is it based on the perfume hall in Harrods?
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 13 Aug 2016, 11:04 »
This is much more like it - Germania Nova out in the Corfu Channel doing 4 knots in a very light breeze, just now. Yours for €80,000 per week, plus fuel, tips, food.
Graham

Michael Rogers

« Reply #34 on: 14 Aug 2016, 10:13 »
We should perhaps start a new topic - Beautiful boats: Graham's picture belongs there. Nothing odd about it - absolutely gorgeous. You just have to ignore the price tag and enjoy the aesthetics. (Look in 'Classic Boat' if you have a few £million to spare. Fancy a barquentine or some such?)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 16 Aug 2016, 21:39 »
I finally found out what this lot were up to (below).  They're Greek sea scouts, which explains the logo on both sails.  I'd still be interested in the reason for their boat's unusual rig, which is similar to traditional rigs found on Lake Geneva, a whole world away.
Graham

Matthew P

« Reply #36 on: 08 Oct 2016, 11:46 »
How about this for Raids? Could be a match for Craic or even Molly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sailing-Canoe-8-metre-Trimaran-Equipment-and-Trailer-gwo-/201679082277?hash=item2ef5029325:g:hWoAAOSwLF1X6BGq

I won't be giving up Gladys for this though.

Matthew
Gladys BR20
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Michael Rogers

« Reply #37 on: 11 Oct 2016, 11:01 »
I don't know about 'odd', Matthew: it looks rather formidable (give that word French pronunciation??) to me. Look at the speed they're going at. And, in its own way, rather elegant - I like the Canadian canoe shape of the main hull.

If multi-hullers really want to 'raid', won't they have to organise separate events? (Although come to think of it, there were a couple of sailing canoes with outriggers at the English Raid at Falmouth in 2014.)

Tony

« Reply #38 on: 13 Oct 2016, 14:05 »
Here's something from "Faceache".
I sincerely hope it's fake or foreshortened with a long telephoto lens!

Andy Dingle

« Reply #39 on: 13 Oct 2016, 22:16 »

Cracking picture Tony..  almost calls for a caption competition?
Something associated with your comment in a different thread on chemical lavatories perhaps...  if indeed our greek friend in the picture had time for such niceties...!

Michael Rogers

« Reply #40 on: 15 Oct 2016, 09:38 »
What happened next??

Tony

« Reply #41 on: 16 Oct 2016, 01:22 »
Michael
 I don't know what happened next. As I said, I stole it from Facebook. Only fair as I keep finding my stuff all over the place. I've only once been asked for permission to use a photograph and that was by Steffan Meyric Hughes, the guy who wrote "Circle Line". He wanted a picture of "Four Sisters" for his lecture tour as an example of something dryer to sleep on than a Storm 15! (Little does he know......!)

Andy
"Aν κλείσω τα μάτια μου και να κάνω μια ευχή ίσως θα πάει μακριά !"
.....and I stole THAT from Google Translate ......so it probably means something extremely offensive.

Michael Rogers

« Reply #42 on: 17 Oct 2016, 22:39 »
My question was rhetorical, Tony!!

Tony

« Reply #43 on: 20 Oct 2016, 21:06 »
My question was rhetorical, Tony!!

....Then you got more rhetoric than you bargained for, Michael!

Tony

« Reply #44 on: 02 Nov 2016, 12:16 »
Huge stem on this "Luzzu" from Malta probably handy in short , steep seas when drift netting in the days when these boats were lateen rigged. This boat had just come into Marsalforn Harbour (N. Gozo) to drop off Lampuki (dorado) for the fish restaurant. They still use the old fishing technique - making a raft of palm leaves underwhich the Lampuki shelter, then circling it with nets and hauling in the shoal, leaves  an' all!
Wooden Luzzu are still being built locally and a yard in Valletta is making Glassfibre versions, still  with the high prow and the eye of Osiris painted on the "moustache" (different colours for different ports) but usually with a transom for an outboard instead of the traditional high double ended stern.