Author Topic: Odd-looking boats  (Read 37572 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Odd-looking boats
« Reply #45 on: 17 Nov 2016, 14:41 »
There's a thread about micro-cruisers on the Sailing Anarchy forum with some eccentric or even plain bonkers ideas.  See http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=159787.  Attached my personal favourite, a cruising Optimist.  The second photo shows a suggested way of banishing unreliable trailer misery.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Michael Rogers

« Reply #46 on: 17 Nov 2016, 22:38 »
I agree with you about the Oppy, Graham - 7ft 9ins overall, what an excellent choice!

The other picture - where is that?? US? Australia? (but aren't they on the 'wrong' side of the road?) And where are the traffic police?!!

david

« Reply #47 on: 18 Nov 2016, 02:53 »
Hi Michael,
                      The cat is in America. I read an article on it when they sailed it over to Cuba a few years ago. I will see if I can dig up the article!
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Peter Taylor

« Reply #48 on: 18 Nov 2016, 10:29 »
The ultimate solution to getting central on your trailer - build it into the boat.  This is a "Sealegs Amphibious Technology" vessel spotted fishing off Calshot. I've a feeling I would not be able to afford one!

Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Andy Dingle

« Reply #49 on: 18 Nov 2016, 12:29 »

Not just a 'boat on a trailer' Peter. That beast has hydraulic motors on the rear wheels and can drive itself on land too!
They're used a lot up this neck of the woods too, quite impressive to see one coming in, then drive itself up the slip or beach ...

Ged

« Reply #50 on: 18 Nov 2016, 16:31 »
I saw one of these at Newtown creek a few weeks ago.

Looks expensive.... and very beige!

He was chuffed with it though.

Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 07 Jan 2017, 18:22 »
I think this one's owner tried to copy the two previous boats but got a bit confused.  Note also the washing machine porthole, unexploded Scud, Star of David window and psychedelic helipad.  Spotted by Dylan Winter in Shoreham Harbour.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #52 on: 20 Feb 2017, 18:07 »
Bloomberg reports that the slab-sided monstrosity in this posting (below) has been arrested in Gibraltar over an alleged $16m unpaid debt http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1016.msg8724.html#msg8724
Graham

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #53 on: 21 Feb 2017, 14:57 »
A propos another thread in this forum, this yacht is called Sailing Yacht  A. Let's hope the owner has more inspiration by the time he gets to  Z.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Peter Taylor

« Reply #54 on: 10 Apr 2017, 07:49 »
The attached photo shows a BRe seen sailing at Calshot on Sunday!
peter
Peter Taylor

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #55 on: 10 Apr 2017, 19:58 »
I just love the doors!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Tony

« Reply #56 on: 29 Apr 2017, 13:00 »
I can't work out what's going on with the stem of this inshore fishing boat.  (Siracusa, Sicily.)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #57 on: 16 Jul 2017, 08:32 »
I could write a whole essay on what's wrong with this boat (Corfu, Greece).  My family think it's wonderful.
Graham

Peter Taylor

« Reply #58 on: 14 Aug 2017, 11:02 »
Unusual rather than odd... in fact rather grand, and must go downwind well! Seen on Sunday from Calshot Tower.
Peter Taylor

Michael Rogers

« Reply #59 on: 14 Aug 2017, 18:43 »
Apart from white, rather than tanned, sails, that is classic 19th - early 20th cent fishing lugger rig: dipping lug main, standing lug mizen. Unlike this boat, it was common for the mizen mast to be raked forward. The sternsprit was universal so that the mizen could be set out of the way of work with the nets. I would have to do some research to find in which coastal waters they also used a bowsprit and foresail.

Never mind downwind, that dipping lug would take her to windward like anything. The 'problem' was/is going about, which is a right palaver. Definitely not a rig for narrow winding channels