Author Topic: It's very quiet  (Read 12998 times)

Anthony Huggett

It's very quiet
« on: 30 Jan 2015, 21:59 »
It's very quiet on here! When I started building Emily this forum was buzzing. Have Swallowboats more or less discontinued the kits?

Anyhow, I hope this finds you well. Emily will be finished this year (after 2 redundancies and a house move) and we'll probably make it to Rutland a few times as well as Mylor.

Michael Rogers

Re: It's very quiet
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2015, 10:36 »
Look forward to meeting Emily - and you plus crew! - in due course. It's a terrific buzz when you launch at last , the boat you have built yourself.

I think your post sums up the situation these days - Swallowboats have indeed 'more or less discontinued the kits'. I'm open to correction, but a perusal of the snazzy new website didn't reveal any mention of kits (except possibly in a historical context?). If someone really really wanted one, I dare say Matt would supply, but otherwise.........So, as you've indicated, Anthony, this part of the forum will quietly fade away. Are there any other builds still in progress, I wonder?

As a twice over kit builder (a Storm Petrel and a Trouper 12 - any other two-timers??), I find it melancholy, but things move on. We discussed this apropos the new website, including some Latin which I won't go back to. Jordan Boats do kits of all sorts of designs, and I've wondered whether some Swallowboats kits might continue in that way. I feel particularly strongly about the Trouper because it is such a superb design.

Michael    Trouper 12 'Cavatina'.

steve jones

« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2015, 11:06 »
   Good luck with the launch!

There was a rumour ,last year, that Swallow boats had stopped kit supplies, pity.

When do you plan to go to Mylor? I sail every year from St. Just and Roseland, sleeping on board gives an extra dimension. There is another BR17 at St. Just', (GRP).

I also sail from Plymouth , both are excellent venues for all sorts of sailing.

Pic. of Falmouth -Helford

Steve Jones

BR17  Nona  Me

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb 2015, 22:13 »
Yes, I understand that SwallowBoats has stopped the kits. Laura contacted me a while back and asked me to change the description of SwallowBoats on this website to remove the bit about them making kits.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Tony

« Reply #4 on: 04 Apr 2015, 01:54 »
I know a couple of people who might be interested in a BR 17 kit but wouldn't want the boat ready made as a relatively expensive custom build from Swallow Boats.
Perhaps Matt could be persuaded that plans and kits could be made available through a third party, ...but I imagine working up paper plans from the computer files might be time consuming ....and he has to turn a profit!
It would be a great pity if such great boats as the Storm 15, 17 and 19, not to mention the CBL, Trouper, and BR 17 should be totally unavailable simply because the demand is so limited that they are not a commercial proposition.

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #5 on: 07 Apr 2015, 22:32 »
I happened to speak to Matt the other day and he confirmed that they had stopped kits due to lack of interest during the recession.

A great shame, but understandable with a healthy order book for new complete boats.

Michael Rogers

« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2015, 15:12 »
I still think/hope that Swallow Boats can come to a mutually acceptable arrangement with someone like Jordan Boats so that at least some of these designs can continue to be built and sailed.

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #7 on: 09 Apr 2015, 11:44 »
I agree!

Building Emily (BR17) has taken me 4 years and 4 months, but has been hugely satisfying. She is to be launched in 9 days' time  :).

One thing that I would add, is that I would only recommend home building if you want the experience of building a boat. I don't think the money saved would have been worth the time, blood and sweat (and the recurring dream where I launch and all the panels float apart).

Michael Rogers

« Reply #8 on: 09 Apr 2015, 17:46 »
WELL DONE, THAT MAN!!
Keep us posted re the launch, Anthony - if poss with pictures. Everyone hopes it goes well.
I'm sure West System (or wherever your epoxy allegiances lie) would NOT approve of your recurring dream!!

Michael Rogers

« Reply #9 on: 09 Apr 2015, 17:47 »
WELL DONE, THAT MAN!!
Keep us posted re the launch, Anthony - if poss with pictures. Everyone hopes it goes well.
I'm sure West System (or wherever your epoxy allegiances lie) would NOT approve of your recurring dream!!

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2015, 14:34 »
I will post launch pictures, but we are launching at our local marina on the Great Ouse. We are not going to attempt to sail - just oars and outboard to take our guests for a jolly (and I can always use the oars to reach for any planks that fall off).

First sail should be Rutland in 2 weeks' time, when we've got time to iron out any wrinkles on our own.

So is Emily the last ever BR17 kit? She and Nona Me (Steve) were kits 2 and 1 in that order, I think.

steve jones

« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2015, 17:23 »
Well done Anthony,  you won't regret it , may see you in Falmouth, and you can see how they age with rough treatment.

I'm currently doing up an old MK1 Cornish Crabber24 1976, so that's your next trial.

Steve

Ken Goodman

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2015, 15:17 »
Hi Anthony I bought my BR 17 25th July 2011 and after many disasters and delays, I'm still building and working to a finish one day. At this point I would say I'm 3/4 of the way there.
Ann (my partner) and I have attended both Weymouth and Bala last year and will be at Falmouth this year, asking questions and taking photos of BR's, to get as many ideas as possible.
Looking forward to your post on your initial launch
Ken Goodman
M.T. Wallet

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2015, 22:45 »
Love the name, Ken. I hope your eventual launch goes as well as mine (see new post). Loads of friends, a beautiful day, and a good time had by all.