Author Topic: Cockpit Tents  (Read 22346 times)

Richard Scott

Cockpit Tents
« on: 29 May 2007, 20:40 »
I thought it would be interesting to find out people's experience with cockpit tents (and spray hood extensions for that matter).

Are they any good? Do people actually use them? What would make an ideal cockpit tent, if there is such a thing...

Matt Newland

Re: Cockpit Tents
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2007, 08:33 »
Hello,

I just got back from a week in France, at their Semaine du Golfe festival, where quite a number of participants slept on their boats. The best cockpit tents that I could see were on Drascombe Coasters.

Douglas Hopwood (long time Drascombe owner) aboard his coaster seemed to have got a place for everything and the whole art of camping aboard down to a tee. I guess that comes from practice, but his cockpit tent certainly looked the business. I would imagine there was standing room inside, or close.

He explained to me that the Drascombe Coaster really only works well as a camping boat if you have the cockpit tent. It gives you room to keep all the wet oilskins and other things that you dont want to get rained on, but dont want in your cabin, once you have anchored up for the night.

His tent looked like it was made from sprung glass fibre arches, similar to those found in modern tents. This gives more headroom out wide than a simple boom tent, though it would certainly cost more.

We are going to be developing a cockpit tent for our BayRaider, and also for our Trouper 12, so I would appreciate other peoples ideas/experiences.

Ventilation? Light? Lack of double layer (flysheet) is that a problem?

Best wishes,

Matt

Richard Scott

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2007, 16:56 »
Great idea.

We need to get away from the idea of a boom tent, and think more in terms of modern tent construction.

Continuing to use heavier material for the sprayhood, but using rip-stop for the tent, joining the two with a very large nylon zip, and extending it towards the stern supported by flexible nylon rods that bend from gunwale to gunwale. It would then also be adjustable, ie. if you just wanted to extend it back a couple feet to provide shelter for kids in the rain - you could.

It would be much smaller to stow and very light. Fly sheet/netting could be incorporated. Abuddy of mine, Arnn Tate designs tents and backpacks for a living, but he moved to a remote part of New Zealand a few years ago...

The tricky bit would be having it 'seal' against the gunwale and at the transom to keep midges out.

I thought perhaps of a very soft plastic edge on the tent that would be held down to each gunwale by ...uh, well something that doesn't interfere with the gorgeous esthetics of the Bay Raider. Hmmmm

Over to you...

Richard Scott

« Reply #3 on: 09 Jun 2007, 07:21 »
One idea I had was to simply modify an appropriately sized commercially available tunnel-style tent.

Essentially, cut off the floor and attach the nylon hoops to the gunwales. Have the front of the tent come over the the tiller towards the transom, and the back would have a zipper sewn in to fasten to the sprayhood. The back wall would also be removed so as not to block the area forward of the sprayhood zipper.

Then you have, in theory, a reasonably well sealed, removable, collapsible, lightweight, double-skinned, cockpit tent that is relatively inexpensive and also adjustable - ie. you can push it forward in sections (hoop by hoop) velcro-ing it forward so as to provide a shelter while leaving the aft part of the cockpit uncovered.

Dave Hanlon

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2007, 08:57 »
Sounds like a neat idea Richard. PU coated Nylon tents, which where the bees-knees when I started mountaineering, can be had for next to nothing these days. The hill fraternity have moved on to Sil-Nylon which commands the big money now. PU-Nylon is much better for boating purposes anyway, Sil-nylon is not fire retardant so its recommended you cook outside of your tent-hard when the water starts where your tent finishes- it remains a little tacky and collects dirt - seen as a badge of courage by most outdoorsmen- and the seems are not waterproof unless regulalry sealed with Si. PU on the other hand, whilst moderately heavier, is generally fire retardant and and maintenenace free. There are many ranges of very affordable but technically excellant tents. The usual complaint about the cheaper lines is that the ground sheet isn't up to scratch - clearly not a problem if you cut it off. When pressed into use as a cockpit tent an issue might be that the poles in modern two skin tents (most tents are now two skin) usually fit into the inner rather than the outer. Using the outer on its own may present a challenge in the case of the cheaper models- pole sleaves would have to be fixed to the outer and adequate ventilation would have to be provided to prevent excessive condensation. Also PU/nylon won't be as UV resistant as most heavy marine fabrics but unless you also intend to use the tent as a cover for extended periods it shouldn't be an issue. Might take some shopping around to find one with the right dimensions.

I would be very keen to hear if you find a solution. Would realy like a cockpit tent myself. Matt appears to have forgotten the poor old S17 in his endevours to develop tents for the raider/trooper.

Matt Newland

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2007, 08:49 »
Hello,
Below are some photos of the cockpit tent for the GRP storm 17, made in Acrylic canvas, so probably much bulkier than nylon, but very tough.
I am not sure how well it would fit on the Plywood S17 though, as there are subtle differences.
It is also fairly expensive, being custom made to measure.
I like the idea of an off the shelf tent though.
best wishes,
Matt

Richard Scott

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2007, 08:07 »
Claus

Had a look at the photos of of your Drascombe tunnel tent - very nice!

I had to notice though that you do seem to be an avid collector of boats!

Adam Claridge

« Reply #7 on: 07 Sep 2007, 13:15 »
For a relatively lightweight, breathable, waterproof and flame retardant fabric how about Cotpol T4 as used by the Swedish Kata (or tipi) manufacturer, see http://www.moskoselkatan.se/

Also, have you seen the cockpit tent as fitted to the NorseBoat - http://www.norseboat.com/tent.htm - which uses the dodger and bimini to complete the coverage; quite neat.

Adam