Swallow Yachts Forum > General Discussion

Fitting an in hull transducer in a Bayraider Expedition

(1/2) > >>

Peter Cockerton:
Advice please from anyone who can help on fitting an in hull transducer in a Bayraider Expedition. I have used the same transponder for my BR20 and it worked fine in the sump. The only problem with it being in that location is having to feed the cable in the drain gully towards the centreboard case to plug into the plotter.

Can it be fitted to the hull somewhere in the cabin area, if so what cable routing has anyone used and where have you mounted the plotter.

Peter Cockerton

Peter Taylor:
Not a BRe but in case it helps: the through-hull transducer in my BC20 is fitted amidships a few cm from the centreboard case.  Initially I was very worried that it might not work well due to echoes from the centreboard when the latter is lowered but I have had no problems, so that is a viable location.

The cable from the transducer to the Garmin Echomap plotter must not be shortened and it is easily long enough to allow me to site the plotter at a choice of locations in the cockpit (depending on what tack I'm on!) or in the cabin when at anchor.  The plotter is mounted on a piece of ply that slots into teak "ipad holders" bought from Howells in Poole (see photo).  The result is that i can have the plotter close at hand when in critical situations and actually see what it is showing!  A small slot in the waveboards allow the cables through if the companionway is closed.
Peter

Jonathan Stuart:
Peter,

There is an area at the forward end of the CB slot that is apparently intended for transducers and I mounted mine there. I screwed the tranducer to a block of hardwood which I bonded to the boat with Sikaflex. (From others' descriptions I expected this area to be a flat shelf and it wasn't on my boat, it sloped upwards, but I just cut the wood block to shape and it fitted fine).

The cable is routed up inside the forward end of the CB case with one P clip securing it in place - the P clip is held in place with a machine screw fitted (from the outside with a nut holding the P clip in place) through the wood on the external front of the CB case in to which the forward CB block is attached from the inside. The cable then exits the CB case through a groove that I routered in the underside of the CB lid and I filled the small gap with silicon. My cable exits in the cabin but I guess you could also route it aft to exit in the cockpit.

Jonathan

whale:
Looking for advice and or experience with installing an in-hull Garmin transducer in a BRe.  Thanks

Llafurio:
I glued mine on the lowest point inside the portside rear airtank. C.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version