Author Topic: Fantasy cruising grounds  (Read 26144 times)

Peter Taylor

Re: Fantasy cruising grounds
« Reply #15 on: 04 Aug 2015, 09:48 »
The age of paddle steamers is not quite gone, attached photo shows Waverley passing Seatern near Lymington around a year ago.  In my youth the St Seiriol used to steam up and down the Menai Straits on a Sunday since being "travelling" it was able to serve alcohol when all the North Wales pubs were closed.  I keep wondering about taking Seatern to North Wales but it would be mainly out of nostalgia.  The scenery is beautiful but the Anglesey coast would be inhospitable in poor weather.  The Menai Straits offer shelter but 10m tides and up to 7 knot currents need respect!  Still, I might venture up there, it was great for dinghy sailing.

The Shannon does sound a possible cruising ground. Much further away, Puget Sound would be interesting although tree covered islands and timber strewn shores might get a bit boring after a time!  And the Pacific Northwest is not famed for it's weather, I once spent a "summer" in Seattle!
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Andy Dingle

« Reply #16 on: 04 Aug 2015, 12:47 »

Several mentions have been made about the Shannon and the navigation system leading down to it. Re my earlier post in this thread. Is there any one interested in investigating the possibilities of, perhaps, an 'adventurous cruise in company' along this route? I'm thinking of 2016 or 2017?
Not necessarily restricted to Swallow Boats.
Being a founder member of the King Herod Appreciation Society, The information re Irish school holidays was very useful, thanks Richard.

Andy
BC23 No.25 Equinox.

David Hudson

« Reply #17 on: 06 Aug 2015, 16:57 »
Based in Beadnell, my sailing waters lie between Warkworth in the south to Holy Island.

Dunstanburgh Castle, the Farne Islands; the home of St Aiden before he moved to Holy Island and of course Bamburgh Castle.

This is truly a fantasy cruising area. I like Bermuda too. (Sorry Lidl).

Tap once for full sized photograph.

David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2015, 00:11 »
Halong Bay, Vietnam. Saw it on a Top Gear repeat the other day.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2023, 21:48 »
Since the last post to this thread in 2015, some of the contributors have gone on and fulfilled some of their fantasies.

I am now the happy owner of a secondhand copy of ‘Arholma - Landsort and Gotland’ (third edition 2007, in English).  This is a rare pilot book that deals in considerable detail with the Stockholm Archipelago.  I will now spend many hours reading up on a fascinating area that I shall probably never visit with my boat but which was very high up on my fantasy list.

Has anyone had any new ideas of fantasy sailing grounds?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

garethrow

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2023, 16:55 »
North West Scotland without the midges + guaranteed good weather???

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jan 2023, 17:46 »
Ha!  Fantasy on several counts.
Graham

MarkDarley

« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2023, 05:54 »
I would add the Rias of Galicia especially Ria de Arousa. We did both Arousa and Ponte Vedra and were told we had the worst weather in 20 years, and it was still great thanks to the exceptionally friendly locals, wonderful seafood, and green Albariño all very affordable.  Yes, we had fog one day out of three but it just added to the adventure….

Baltimore and Roaring Water Bay, County Cork was also wonderful in September.

We did both towing Pippin, our Bayraider 20.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

MarkDarley

« Reply #24 on: 26 Feb 2023, 05:56 »
Also, I would be very interested in talking to anyone who has sailed to the Scillies and cruised them in a Swallow Baycruiser 23.  Hoping to do it this year.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 01 Mar 2023, 20:03 »
The far western coast of Sicily, based out of Trapani or Marsala. Beautiful clear blue seas, several islands just offshore with ancient ruins (Phoenicians and others) and many white sandy beaches.  Plus Sicilian food and wines to sample and an interestingly mountainous interior (Corleone anyone?) to explore during off days. From the UK it would probably take four days of trailering and two ferries to get there and isn’t going to happen any time soon - just a pleasant fantasy.
Graham

Llafurio

« Reply #26 on: 01 Mar 2023, 21:31 »
The western half of Sicilia is a real marvel. But IMO no need to bring a boat. We flew in to Palermo, with just rucksacks and boots, and hopped counterclockwise from place to place using public transport, free as birds. The main attractions are onshore, the temples of Selinunt and Agrigent, and the fresh local seafood restaurants everywhere. Trapani and Sciacca were our favourites. And Palermo of course.
A boat would have hindered us to take it all in.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Llafurio

« Reply #27 on: 01 Mar 2023, 21:46 »
And not to forget: Kenmare Bay. There will be a Drascombe gathering there from June 16th. , and they will have a few local BRs along with them.

P.S.
For the "Fantasy" bit, from Kenmare Bay you can sail around Skellig Michael, a.k.a. the domain of the Jedi.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

garethrow

« Reply #28 on: 08 Mar 2023, 17:34 »
I really like the look and sound of Kenmare Bay and would have contemplated joining the DA rally there this year but have commited all my spends to Mylor this year. Although the DA rallies are usually very reasonably priced, thre is a £520 ferry fare from Wales to Ireland and back unfortunately. Maybe next year.

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor, ex S17 Gwennol Teifi

Llafurio

« Reply #29 on: 09 Mar 2023, 08:21 »
Gareth,

Kenmare Bay is a ria, a deep mountain valley flooded by the Atlantic. Being Fjord-like, flanked by some of Irelands highest mountains, it funnels the long Atlantic swell and southwest breezes far inland. Flanked by subtropical vegetation.

There is spectacular and exceptional wildlife over, on, and below the surface of Kenmare Bay. Not that one meets the Blue Whale or the White Tail Sea Eagle every single day of the week, but a very common sight is for instance -in July- when dolphins and gannets seemingly hunt together, with dolphins rounding up the shoals of sprat and mackerel, and clouds of gannets swooping down for their share.

All under threat, of course, but still relatively intact. Best seen sooner than later.