Author Topic: Sail Emblem  (Read 15646 times)

Anthony Huggett

Sail Emblem
« on: 10 Aug 2015, 12:40 »
Over the course of the Falmouth Raid I had a word with Matt about a sail emblem for us home builders. Production Swallow Boats/Yachts sport a swallow on the mainsail to let the world know what they are. I suggested we should use the same SB emblem inside a box for kit boats and Matt was happy with that.

Would there be any interest if I organized a job lot of emblems?

David Hudson

Re: Sail Emblem
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2015, 23:29 »
Surely if the dinghy is built to plan and a Matt measures it as conforming to manufacturer's plans, you should be entitled to a Class number and insignia.

This would of course require a measurement fee.
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

david

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2015, 03:10 »
I have  a  regular  BayRaider  with no insignia  or number! Does this mean I could  also  get one?
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Michael Rogers

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2015, 10:52 »
This idea (basically a good one) does get a bit complicated. For example, I assume Matt (or whoever) would 'approve' the hull of my boat, but I would certainly not expect Swallow Boats (SORRY - genuine slip of the pen: this is going to take some getting used to!!), I mean Swallow Yachts, to associate themselves with my rig: which is the bit of the boat which would wear any emblem assigned to me.

And I must say that measurement fees smack of a competitive class association, which I don't think we are - yet!?

What about a burgee which is absolutely limited to us home builders, and would therefore exclude all the had-it-built-for-me riffraff? I would fly one with pride. (It might also divert me from mischief-making such as flying a white ensign and seeing how long it takes for the RN and/or RYS to react. Would that be a criminal offence, or just cheeky?)

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2015, 13:51 »
I'm not sure when the emblems came in. Emily's sails are standard, supplied by Matt in 2010.

I like the idea of differentiating the kit boats because there is a certain satisfaction in having built one's own, (especially if you are doing quite well against the others on a raid) and I can understand that there is some reticence on Matt's part about having boats out their with his branding over which he has no control over the build quality. 

I guess my question to the forum is how many others would be interested in decorating their sails?

Matthew P

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2015, 19:04 »
I wonder what Mrs Chippie thinks of this eh, Graham?   ;)

I'd quite like a Swallow Boat, umh, Yacht burgee if anyone is organising them.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2015, 15:26 »
I wonder what Mrs Chippie thinks of this eh, Graham?   ;)

I'd quite like a Swallow Boat, umh, Yacht burgee if anyone is organising them.

I'm still waiting for the sky to fall in, like it was supposed to do last time anyone dared to have some Swallow pennants made.

Laura at Swallow Yachts mentioned a while back that she might be having some pennants made up this winter, to give away with new boats and for sale to everyone else. I suppose that if you already have a large Swallow emblem on your mainsail, a Swallow pennant is a bit superfluous.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Steve Joyce

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2015, 19:20 »
maybe a swallow with the wings separated? (waiting to be glued on).

Storm 15 "Robin"

david

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2015, 19:39 »
I still proudly fly my Swallow burgee! I would like a colorful Swallow yacht pennant to fly off the top of my mast, if anyone is organizing that! {The sky may fall with this suggestion Graham!}
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2015, 19:44 »
Tsk!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2015, 20:41 »
I have  a  regular  BayRaider  with no insignia  or number! Does this mean I could  also  get one?

David

Available from Laura at SY cost £23.12 inc postage (uk) and vat
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

david

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2015, 03:20 »
Thank  you Peter. Email  sent to Laura.  ;D
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Lara

« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2015, 11:52 »
Hi I've had a couple of requests for pennants over the weekend....I think there may be some cross-purpose here so just to clarify I sent Peter a swallow emblem to stick on his sail - it's my intention to get some sensibly priced Swallow clothing and sailing items for sale, so pennants (and more!) are in the offing.... I am but one little person with a lotta lot going on trying to keep some order round here so please bear with me, it's in the pipeline!  Meanwhile if anybody needs replacement sail numbers or swallow emblems please get in touch with me by email laura@swallowyachts.com