Author Topic: Lac de Cazaux  (Read 4830 times)

michaeln

Lac de Cazaux
« on: 01 Dec 2015, 22:45 »
I am taking my BR20 to Sanguinet on the shores of Lac de Cazaux (the second largest lake in France) below Bordeaux. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of sailing on the lake or advice?
Michael

BR20 #32 "Aoife"

stef

Re: Lac de Cazaux
« Reply #1 on: 02 Dec 2015, 10:37 »
I Michael,
I raced on Lake Cazaux last year with my old boat (trimaran).
This is a very nice lake, we were based in Cazaux.
There is a large slipway in the harbour and a beautiful beach in front of the sailing school.
(look at the aerial photo cazaux)

Warning to the military zone of the lake (airplane) look at the cards and see this areas in the harbour. (south and Est part is free)
The lake is surrounded by forest, the banks are accessible (sand), other areas where reeds grow.
check with local authorities for natural areas and wildlife.

Have a good time at CAZAUX.
Stef

When will you take your boat?
Stef
BR 20  n° 53 "GWEL AR MOR"

michaeln

« Reply #2 on: 02 Dec 2015, 19:59 »
Hi Stef,

Thank you for your helpful information. I will be there for the first half of June. It does look like a beautiful lake. I have found a marina - Port Estey which is 5 minutes from where we are staying in Sanguinet. It doesn't look as sophisticated, or quite as sheltered, as Halte Nautique de Cazaux but it gives me a pontoon berth which looks fine for a BR20.

Can you advise in terms of paperwork I will require in France? On basis of a trip to Italy last year (very bureaucratic) I was going to bring: bill of sale; original Swallow Boats invoice; SSR Registration document and my insurance certificate. In Italy I had to bring an Italian translation of my insurance certificate. Do you know if I need to get my insurance certificate translated into French?
Michael

BR20 #32 "Aoife"

stef

« Reply #3 on: 02 Dec 2015, 21:02 »
No paper problem in France ... ;)
I don't really know your homework to sail in other country.
Call your insurance company to now.

In France, our boat has a circulation card, insurance and for captain: permits coastal and CRR (radio).

For Cazaux lake, you must pay a tax at the tourism office (13€/ month in 2015) see attached files.

If you are courageous, you can translate all the attached files, it's your first job before June.
Doc RPP: see page 11 (map)

You could call Laurent SIRAT (captain school sailing of sanguinet) 05 58 78 64 30, he is very cool and will be learn you.

Best regards,
stef
Stef

michaeln

« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2015, 19:45 »
Hi Stef, that is a lot of Google translate but it will give me something to do over Christmas!

I have found some pdf leaflets which are useful in case anybody else is thinking about Lac de Cazaux I will try and attach these. I have noticed references to carrying the "required safety equipment" on board but I can't find where that safety equipment is defined or listed. Have you any ideas? Is there a standard French requirement perhaps?
Michael

BR20 #32 "Aoife"

stef

« Reply #5 on: 09 Dec 2015, 10:05 »
Hi Mickael,
I find document on gouvernment site (see attached file).
it's the same thing for me, google translate is my friend, but I try to make for you a list of safety equipement for cruising on lake of Cazaux:

Safety jacket 1/pers
help reboarding (saffron)
Fixed or mobile pump
cut circuit moteur
extinguisher
tow line (mini 15m)
2 mooring line
and gaffe.

and normal first aid kit.
I think you have the same thing in your country...

Take your small anchor for beaching, hat and sunscreen. 8)
good reading ;)
Stef

michaeln

« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2015, 19:49 »
Hi Stef thanks for all your help and advice - perfect. Looking forward to exploring the Lake in June.
Michael

BR20 #32 "Aoife"

michaeln

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2016, 22:10 »
We had a great three week holiday on Lac de Cazaux in France (late posting due computer problems). It is a beautiful lake, second largest in France, - 8 miles by 6 miles in the middle of the largest maritime pine forest in Europe. Clear water, loads of silver sandy beaches and good steady winds. France has had some extreme weather in May and June so our weather was a bit mixed. But miles of cycle tracks to explore when conditions too extreme to be on the water.

We stayed in Ispe at Hotel Caravelle which has a completely sheltered anchorage - probably the best on the lake. We had a mud and stick berth (the photos explain) right beside the hotel. There are public slipways nearby in good condition if somewhat narrow and it was easy to purchase a Navigation Tax vignette (€14).

Mostly we had the lake to ourselves (apart from low flying military jets) but I expect it gets a lot busier in high season. The BR20 attracted quite a few admiring glances and comments especially when we kept pace with much larger cruiser/racers. Why put such large boats on a lake? Some lovely beachside restaurants and any amount of beaches and sheltered anchorages. Some surprisingly shallow areas but we only encountered sandy bottoms so no damage done. No hesitation in recommending Lac de Cazaux as a laid back freshwater sailing holiday.
Michael

BR20 #32 "Aoife"

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2016, 16:28 »
Looks great - dare one suggest a "foreign" raid before we brexit?
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"