Author Topic: Stoves  (Read 24337 times)

Steve Joyce

Re: Stoves
« Reply #30 on: 30 Jan 2017, 16:44 »
solid fuel tablets (hexamine) are another good solution. always work, doesn't matter if they get wet. Used these a lot in the army (mainly for heating up compo in a mess tin, and boiling water) plus the added pleasure of hours of scrubbing the mess tin so you can see your face in it again! .. I am not selling this well am I?

With a bit of ingenuity you could probably fit a simple stove plus kettle or pan into a biscuit tin arrangement and hang it from the boom with chains. that would stop you burning through your deck and deal with the boat movement.

Storm 15 "Robin"

Andy Dingle

« Reply #31 on: 02 Feb 2017, 20:30 »

Forgive me Steve, but hexy blocks could never be a good solution to anything - apart from maybe starting bonfires..!
Just the mention of that word 'hexamine' takes me back too many years. Not to mention the smell!
There was a good reason why we carried a small calor gas burner in the water bottle pouch of 58 pattern webbing - fitted perfectly.. and so much cleaner and quicker for a brew - al fresco.

Got me yearning for tinned babies heads and dogs bo!!ocks again..  happy days!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #32 on: 03 Feb 2017, 10:48 »
Hexamine is also quite expensive compared to liquid and gas fuels - approximately 5 times more for the heat provided. If you're only using it on an occasional short trip the relative expense probably doesn't matter.

If you're not happy using liquid fuel on board, I read somewhere that it's possible to jellify bioethanol by combining it with calcium acetate.  You end up with the sort of stuff that restaurants use to keep their chafing dishes warm.  You can make your own calcium acetate by soaking eggshells in vinegar.  I think that life is probably too short!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 16 Dec 2017, 14:20 »
Until about 10 years ago, Trangia used to make some pans from aluminium and stainless steel pressed together at high pressure.  The outside of the pans was aluminium for good heat conductivity, while the inside was stainless steel for ruggedness and scour resistance.  Pans can still occasionally be found on eBay and there is one online store in France that is miraculously still selling full kits.  Search for Trangia Duossal and/or Pyrene-Bushcraft.  Trangia have replaced Duossal with hard anodised non-stick aluminium but it is quite easy to scratch and damage the pan surface, which doesn't last nearly as well.

It looks like Trangia have restarted production of their Duossal cooksets, both the smaller 27 series and the larger 25.  In terms of weight, ruggedness, scratch resistance and the way they nest together to save space, the various pans, stove base and kettle are quite difficult to beat in a small boat.

The 27 has been available from Pyrene-Bushcraft in France for a while.  Some enterprising Brits have been indulging in a bit of arbitrage, buying from France and then selling on eBay in the UK for two to three times more.  The 25 is now available at Scandinavian stores and will probably turn up in the UK shortly, as will the 27.  Photos of the 27 Duossal, packed and unpacked, below.
Graham

Tony

« Reply #34 on: 21 Mar 2018, 23:08 »
Sorry, "Re: Stoves", old chap.
I meant to congratulte you on your second birthday.
Still, better late than never! (A card is in the post, honest!)

By the way, I'm still using my flat, stable "Bistro"  cooker with heavy pans for "serious" cooking and a second stove with a cheap whistling  kettle for coffee. Very glad I don't have to worry about anything more efficient ...and I still NEVER cook or eat in the cabin, strictly a dry, spill-free zone for sleeping.

One advantage ( alright, the ONLY advantage) of "Four Sisters'" ' tiny cabin is that one, ordinary, "Boots" brand hot water bottle gives off enough heat to make it cosy when the night gets chilly. No smells, no carbon monoxide.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 25 Mar 2018, 22:42 »
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 16 Nov 2020, 08:17 »
Dometic have ceased manufacture of their Origo spirit stoves, which means that if you want to use bioethanol or meths as a cooking fuel, you may be limited to Trangia-type burners.

Compass24 have a version of the Origo 3000 double burner that appears almost identical to the original.  However, there have been complaints that they are poorly put together, so this is perhaps not such a good option.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 23 Nov 2020, 17:21 »
Roger Barnes of Dinghy Cruising Companion fame has his own YouTube channel.  His latest video (which he describes as geeky) is about his galley box, which contains an Origo 1500 stove https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkjzXbbn1fA&feature=emb_logo.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 27 Nov 2020, 15:32 »
As the Origo stove is no longer available, I got out my Trangia burners and reran the results that I first posted here https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1305.msg10274.html#msg10274.  In all cases, second time around was slower than the first time, possibly because I was using a pan instead of a kettle to boil the water.

Time in minutes to boil
                                                                  2017       2020
Trangia gas burner, Coleman gas cartridge       3.0        3.1
Trangia X2 multifuel, Aspen 4,
     Omnidawg silent cap, 37mm jet*               3.1        4.2
Trangia X2 multifuel, Coleman gas cartridge,
     Omnidawg silent cap, 37mm jet                 3.5        3.6
Trangia spirit burner bioethanol,
     winter attachment                                     5.9       6.2
Trangia spirit burner bioethanol                       7.9        8.7

* Does not include the significant time needed to prime or to turn off and burn excess fuel.  Used a 32mm jet second time around

Conclusions?  Leaking gas concerns apart, the Trangia gas burner is the safest, most convenient, hottest and most adjustable heat source.  I'll be relying on that on future cruises and will get a second gas burner for when I'm aiming for grande cuisine. The cheap and cheerful Trangia spirit burners (bioethanol) will be kept in reserve.  The Trangia X2 multifuel burner gives lots of flexibility when you run out of fuel and you can't get gas cartridges or bioethanol.  However, its lengthy priming process with pressurised liquid fuels is quite scary, especially on a small boat, and the system will be going on eBay shortly.
Graham

Reg Barker

« Reply #39 on: 27 Nov 2020, 20:07 »
Updating my small paragraph I wrote on 27th November 2016 about the Dometic , Origo 1500, placing it in a box and the pitfalls. Subsequently I fitted out my locker and made it into an ideal galley (see photos). This was ready at beginning spring 2017.  As you may be able to see there is plenty room for stowage of food and pots etc. The end compartment next to the cubby contains the 12volt battery, charger and long lead hidden by a work surface. This work surface is supporting a nest of pans.
It’s a shame that this stove has been discontinued. I first discovered it from a demonstration by Dylan Winter (“Keep Turning Left”, YouTube).  He demonstrated it could boil a kettle in 7 mins. The quantity of water used I just can’t remember. But it was true - it could boil water in the allotted time. But my MSR Dragon Fly was quicker, but I wouldn’t use this on the boat!!  It’s like a blowlamp!
BRe #11 Alice Amy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 01 Dec 2020, 09:56 »
If you’re going to change your slow Trangia spirit burner for a speedy and easier to regulate gas burner, I recommend this, which is just as good as the Trangia original and half the price https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Go-System-Adapt-Gas-Conversion-for-Trangia-stove-GS2000-CE-Approved/162388381341
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 01 Dec 2020, 21:35 »
Compass24 have a version of the Origo 3000 double burner that appears almost identical to the original.  However, there have been complaints that they are poorly put together, so this is perhaps not such a good option.

It’s a bit worse than “poorly put together”, according to this account (at the bottom of the page) of the Compass24 stove causing a fire on board https://www.junkrigassociation.org/general_forum/8959664?tpg=2&mlpg=2#8959664.  The main problem seems to be that the fuel tanks aren’t tall enough and therefore leak.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 12 Dec 2020, 12:52 »
Now that Origo stoves are no longer made, the options for stoves with adjustable flames that run on meths or bioethanol are even more limited.  However, HPV in Germany are still making these https://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/neu/neuigkeiten/spirituskocher-hpv?number=4323-002.  The fuel is gravity-fed from a brass tank at the back of the stove (see below).  The burner needs priming (a bit like the winter attachment for the Trangia) and if used on a boat, the stove should be located in a fireproof tray of some sort.  It’s a lot cheaper to buy than a secondhand Origo (if you can find one).
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 12 Feb 2021, 21:36 »
More tests. The HPV Salsa mentioned above took a massive 12 minutes to boil a pint of water.  In addition, it needed fairly substantial priming before it would work properly, by burning quite a lot of alcohol in a shallow pan that is fixed directly under the burner.  This is OK on land but not such a good idea in a boat unless the whole stove is held in a fireproof tray of some sort - the lit primer fuel could easily spill out of the shallow primer pan.

The Origo 1500 took exactly six minutes to boil a pint of water without priming or any other complications.  The Origo flame can easily be regulated - as it can on the Salsa but something that is more difficult to achieve on the alcohol Trangia.  As for the cost of a secondhand Origo, Mark D and I have both found that it is possible to get lucky without paying a fortune.  But you have to be quick if you find one as they are swiftly snapped up when reasonably priced.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 15 Feb 2021, 22:04 »
There are currently two different Origo 1500’s being auctioned on eBay in the UK, including one that is gimballed inside a mahogany box.
Graham