Author Topic: Calling Swallow Boats and Yachts in the Solent area  (Read 2964 times)

John Carney

After a difficult year for myself and co-owner Ian Sturland with no sailing at this end  :( I am hoping to drop Cara BC23 number 18 (dark blue hull, no fancy rigging) into the Solent area, probably  Bucklers Hard and so would be pleased to meet up with any other swallow yachts out and about over the next few weeks - maybe even buy you a drink or indeed test your boat speed with a bit of impromptu competition

Given progress I can see I may have to review the name of my blog (sailing back to happiness!)

Michael Rogers

Re: Calling Swallow Boats and Yachts in the Solent area
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2018, 18:00 »
Hallo John and Ian
I still don't really know whether Cavatina (Trouper 12) qualifies as a Swallow YACHT, but she's out of the same stable. I'm based at Studland, in case you venture that far west through the dreaded Hurst Point race (it can be done). Anyway you'd probably rather joust with something a bit bigger. Just to mention that on two occasions of lengthy downwind sailing (one the length of Ullswater; the other from Weymouth to Lulworth Cove) Cavatina worked to the van of largish mixed Swallow Yacht fleets and stayed there. (To windward would obviously be a different matter!)
I'll look out for a dark blue hull (sounds smart). I think Cavatina's junk rig is fairly distinctive.
The sailing through this heat wave hasn't been great, has it? However I had a wonderful sail into and round Poole Harbour last Friday (20th). So here's hoping.

Best wishes          Michael R

John Carney

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2018, 14:18 »
Thanks Michael, we know Poole fairly well as used to have a mooring at Parkstone so may venture your way  - all tbd!

Al Beckhelling

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2018, 18:24 »
Hi John; my wife Jill and i bought our BC23 (Liberty Belle) this March, tried her out on Windermere for her first outing before locating her at Calshot (Southampton water).  You probably know the place so may be aware they have an extensive boat park for those who wish to 'dry sail' their boats, as we do.  Although not as pretty as the Beaulieu river, the quick access to the Solent and reasonable storage/launching prices make it ideal for us. Just a thought if considering a location.
Would happily arrange a meet and a sail, but stupidly managed to damage my mast, post this years Raid, which is likely to result in a replacement (6 week timeline). Once able to get back on the water, will let you know.  There is another, new owner (sorry, name escapes me) sailing out of Bucklers.  He too has a dark blue hull.  With luck, he will get to see these posts.
All the best for now.  Alan

John Carney

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2018, 09:09 »
Hi Alan
Thanks for the tip off about Calshott - I wasn't aware of that as it happens. It would be good to meet up some time but sorry to hear you are without mast, that sounds a bit critical. If you are suffering withdrawal symptoms let me know.  I think the chap you refer to is Ed Metcalfe - I was waxing lyrical about BC23s to him at the soton boat show two years ago.  Btw we too did Windermere a couple of years ago - great fun. Best wishes John  http://baycruiser23cara.tumblr.com