Author Topic: Trip to the Scilly Isles?  (Read 2455 times)

Rob Johnstone

Trip to the Scilly Isles?
« on: 12 May 2018, 21:12 »
I'm vaguely thinking of using the Raid at Mylor as a springboard for a week cruise in Riff Raff to the Scilly Isles (and back), weather permitting. I've not looked at tides and that sort of thing - but if they are kind and the weather is OK, it should be a two day trip out - Mylor - Penzance/Newlyn - Scilly. A couple of days cruise in the islands (or recovery) and then the reverse. Say six or seven days.

Anyone interested in exploring the idea further?
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Al Beckhelling

Re: Trip to the Scilly Isles?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2018, 13:29 »
Hi Rob;
something I've mentioned to my better half was a wanting to sail to the Scillies & explore the Isles.
Was thinking to do next year to be honest as we've only just taken ownership and thought it best to get used to the boat and all its sailing idiosyncrasies before embarking on such a trip (though I would)!
Been over there a few times now on bigger yachts; very restricted by draft, so a BC23 would be fab.
Tides aren't such an issue (obviously need to time things right) but the key thing is the weather window. no Window, can't go. Battling against a standard oncoming low is horrid.
Be very interested in any such trips in the future though.  Do you go on your own?