Author Topic: Trailer breakdown & recovery insurance  (Read 12935 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Trailer breakdown & recovery insurance
« on: 27 Jun 2018, 11:53 »
Has anyone got any recommendations for breakdown and recovery insurance for car & trailer, where the trailer is a whisker under 8m long?  My policy with Breakdown Direct, which is ending soon, seems to be no longer available.  Green Flag have a length limit of 7m for trailers.  Some of the caravans clogging up the roads seem to be a lot longer than that and I assume that at least some of them have breakdown and recovery insurance.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

David Hall

Re: Trailer breakdown & recovery insurance
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2018, 17:43 »
Graham

This must be a fairly recent change as I took out a policy with Breakdown Direct in March 2018 without any problem (trailer length they allow is 8m). Cost £53 for the year.

Would be interested in any solutions you find.

David Hall

Lady G BC23 #51

Nicky R

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2018, 20:37 »
It might be worth checking what they mean by trailer length. The drivin license requirements are based on the length from the end of the draw bar. The rules about where that ends are different for caravans and other trailers. For boats it's the end of the triangular bit. For caravans the length measurement starts from the front of any storage box, or the solid part of e caravan.. If that is the way they're measuring then you may qualify after all.
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2018, 22:15 »
According to the Breakdown Direct website, they “are in the process of arranging new and improved vehicle breakdown solutions for our new customers going forward.”  I wonder if you are still covered if you are going backwards? ::)

An interesting point on trailer length.  For breakdown lorry purposes (say your axle seizes and the trailer needs transporting) if length is measured from the apex of the triangular bit or perhaps from the tow hitch at the front, where is it measured from at the back?  From the back of the trailer or the back of the boat, which has a substantial overhang?
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jul 2018, 16:23 »
Anybody got any ideas?
Graham

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #5 on: 03 Jul 2018, 17:22 »
Graham

Recovery Plus

To cover me for my recent Mylor trip i took out the Green Flag breakdown cover, it covers the car and trailer against mechanical breakdown, i specifically asked the question if the trailer wheel bearing failed (for example) would they get the trailer to a repair site and they said yes. With the cover on one car only (any driver) the premium was 43 pounds for the year. They treat boat trailers the same as caravans from the conversation i had with them. Trailer length i believe restricted to 8 mtrs which just about covers my Bayraider 20 (best check with them before you proceed).

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jul 2018, 21:08 »
Thanks Peter.  However, on their website it says “size limits of 7 metres long, 3 metres high and 2.55 metres wide”.  And 3.5 tonnes, which ought to be enough!  The problem with braked trailers for the BR20 is that they are quite a bit longer than the unbraked version.
Graham

BobT

« Reply #7 on: 05 Jul 2018, 17:17 »
We are with the AA having specifically spoken to them about trailer recovery as the previous company we were with before we brought Escape into the family did not offer suitable trailer cover.  I can't remember if I specifically asked about breakdown to the trailer and after waiting 10 mins on the phone to check with them have given up  :( .
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Wave Sweeper

« Reply #8 on: 05 Jul 2018, 17:18 »
I'm covered with Britannia Rescue - include trailers up to 8M in their standard cover. https://www.britanniarescue.com/

Its part of LV who have their own ads https://www.lv.com/breakdown-cover, I don't know what if any the difference is!

I asked Britannia some years ago about wheel bearing failure on a trailer and they said "For example if the trailer has any kind of problem you would be able to call us out."

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 05 Jul 2018, 20:56 »
Bob, Chris, thank you!  My car insurance is with LV=, so from what you say they seem an obvious choice.  I’ll give them a call.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2018, 14:20 »
I’ve now insured with LV=/Britannia, who confirmed that a trailer is covered up to 8m long.  I’ve measured my BR20 and braked trailer carefully and it’s 7.9m between its furthest extremities.  So however length is measured, I’m covered.
Graham

TimLM

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2018, 11:38 »
Bob, Chris, Graham, thank you, we are also with LV which is a relief. I can confirm the BRe on a braked trailer is also "7.9m between its furthest extremities".
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2018, 22:12 »
I know this problem well from trying to get cover for a BC26. Many recovery services limit the length to 7m. A further problem is that even where length isn't limited, the maximum width may be set to the old legal maximum trailer width of 2.3m. The law changed some years ago - and with a 2.54m beam the BC26 makes the most of the new 2.55m limit - but many recovery companies/insurers, e.g. the AA, have not changed their terms and still specify a limit of 2.3m.

As an aside, I notice that a BC23's beam is just over 2.3m so this width issue theoretically applies to BC23s too although at 2.36m beam you'd have to have a very pedantic recovery driver (and armed with a good tape measure) to fall foul of that limit!

Two services we have found that accommodate the BC26 (unlimited length, up to 2.55m width and weight limit of 3.5T) are RAC Arrival and Green Flag Mayday. I would be interested if anyone else knows of services that cover a BC26 because our renewal is due this month...
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2018, 15:31 »
Interesting - Green Flag Mayday web site (today) quotes max length of 7 metres.......
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 2018, 16:01 »
I called Green Flag today and found out the following:

Green Flag Mayday policies cover any size vehicle or caravan but are only offered to members  of the Caravan and Motorhome Club (The Caravan Club to us oldies); membership of this club costs £51 per year.

Normal Green Flag policies only cover towed vehicles up to 2.55 m wide,  3.5 tonnes weight and 7 metres long, excluding "the A frame". Assuming that Riff Raff, Terence (the trailer) fit this rather vague criteria, cover for trailer and car recovery (5 yr old Yeti) was quoted to me for £49.00 pa (roadside assistance, get you home cover).

Seems too good to be true - Skoda are quoting me £90 with no mention of the trailer.

Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"