Author Topic: Trailer breakdown & recovery insurance  (Read 12956 times)

mark1

Re: Trailer breakdown & recovery insurance
« Reply #15 on: 20 Jul 2018, 12:46 »
interesting!
my Bre and trailer have been trucked by green flag, I think I might have told them it's 7m overall, which on reading the above it apparently isn't.

anyhow I'm sticking with green flag as they've been brilliant both times I've needed trailers moved.

Peter K

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2018, 11:31 »
My guess is that the 7m limit comes from the UK towing regulations, which are not particularly clear when it comes to defining a trailer, overhangs etc.    A useful extract  from www.gov.uk, "Towing with a car of van: the basics" says
"5. Gross weight of towing vehicle and size of trailer
A towing vehicle with GVW of 3500kg or lower is restricted as to the size of trailer it may tow. The trailer can be a maximum of 7m long by 2.55m wide. A heavier vehicle can tow a trailer of maximum 12m long by 2.55m wide. Exceptionally, where the trailer is specially designed to carry long loads (eg one or more boats, gliders), the 7m limit does not apply."
The last sentence is the relevant one.
I actually think that from the  trailer defns,  that the trailer part of my BC26 is 7m (the extension bars for the lighting board are not fixed structures), although obviously the overall length of boat + trailer is over 8m.
Peter

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2019, 21:02 »
I'm covered with Britannia Rescue - include trailers up to 8M in their standard cover. https://www.britanniarescue.com/

Its part of LV who have their own ads https://www.lv.com/breakdown-cover, I don't know what if any the difference is!

I asked Britannia some years ago about wheel bearing failure on a trailer and they said "For example if the trailer has any kind of problem you would be able to call us out."

As my breakdown cover with Green Flag is up for renewal i called LV Brittania Rescue today to get a quote for this year, when i posed the question of trailer and boat recovery for a wheel bearing failure (as an example) the call handler made a comment that in the terms and conditions of the policy they are not responsible for the boat, the recovery vehicle may not be able to load the disabled trailer with the boat loaded, the responsibility for removing the boat is with the policy holder.

It may be worth a call if you have this policy to clarify the situation with LV Brittania.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

John E

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2019, 18:39 »
Peter
Thanks for the heads up.
I have a policy with Britannia rescue and having read the policy document, it makes no mention of not being responsible for the contents of the trailer or items upon it such as a boat.
I have phoned seaking clarification, and they made a very similar statement to the one you have in your post.
I asked where this was written down and hopefully tomorrow they will be able to provide some documentation and clarity.
In the past I have called upon their services when the trailer was incapacitated and they did recover the Bayraider 20 on its trailer on the back of the recovery vehicle.

John
BR20 WindLass

Bill Rollo

« Reply #19 on: 06 Jul 2019, 19:30 »
Graham and others

Leading on from the UK discussion has anyone a recommendation for European breakdown and recovery cover including boats and trailers?

Bill

BR20 Askari

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2020, 21:14 »
Bill,

It’s that time of year again, more or less.

I’ve only just seen your question from last year and don’t have an answer.  I used to insure through Breakdown Direct but I’m not sure in hindsight that my trailer was properly covered, being longer than the 7m limit.  Or maybe they moved the goalposts.  Luckily, I never had to use it abroad but they rescued me in Scotland once when a trailer bearing seized.

After a long trailering hiatus, I’m looking at breakdown cover again but only for the UK.  I’ve left LV= and am not sure they would cover me any more.  From my research, it looks like the only way of getting long trailer cover with no questions asked is to take out membership of one of the two caravan clubs and buy insurance through them.  But it’s expensive.  Does anyone have any alternative solutions?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2020, 06:51 »
I researched this a couple of years ago and came to the same conclusion as Graham, either join one of the caravan clubs and take out insurance through them or take the risk yourself.
I chose the latter and carried a large jack, big wrench, lump hammer etc and spare bearings. The orginal version of axle on the trailer had two tapered roller bearings on each axle which were pretty easy to remove but the axle was rated at less than the all up weight of the trailer and boat! I upgraded to a more substantial axle and bought a spare bearing set for that - this was a twin bearing assembly with an inner hollow shaft and an outer sleeve - sort of sealed. I imagined it was a press fit onto both the stub axle and the hub. I never tried to remove one but I could imagine that, when seized, it would be an absolute b*gg** to get off. Nonetheless, I carried on taking the risk.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Matthew P

« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2020, 11:50 »
Gladys (a BR20) on her trailer with the rudder removed is under 6.9M long over-all.  Un-mounting the rudder is a minor faff but saves a lot of bother and expense for insurance and ferries.  The trailer is an unsophisticated Bramber. Other BR20 trailers may be longer.

Despite fanatically refusing to allow my bearings to ever be immersed in water, sea or fresh, I have needed to replace bearings every five years or so.  I've found it costs very little extra to buy complete new hubs with bearings fitted and save the bother of pressing bearing shells into  hubs.  This may not be the case for braked hubs.

Matthew
Gladys BR20

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Julian Merson

« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2020, 19:38 »
I'm with the AA and have their breakdown/home start/relay insurance - or whatever they call it these days.

I've twice broken down when towing a Drascombe Coaster.  The first time, it was a blown turbo on the car.  They stuck the car on the back of a pick up truck, hitched the trailer on the back, relayed my trailer back to my house and the car on to the local garage.  That was about 10 years ago.
The second time, last year, the trailer brakes jammed on the way to the coast.  They came out to the lay-by I had reached, mended the brakes and had me in my way within the hour - even followed me several miles down the road to the next services to check their fix had worked.

As the coaster plus trailer is longer than my new BC20, I'm confident they would respond another time.  Faultless service - but then it's not cheap!
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2020, 22:43 »
My undismantled BR20 on its braked trailer comes in at just under 8m, from end to end.  A lot of insurers have a 7m limit, which must be dictated by what their lorries can carry (rather than tow) in the event of catastrophic trailer failure.

When my bearing seized many years ago, neither I nor my rescuer had the correct chisel-type tool and heavy hammer for sorting it out.  They had to source a disproportionately large lorry to carry my boat and trailer from Inverness all the way back to Shropshire. It arrived back several days after I did.

It’s quite difficult wading through the sometimes vague limits and exclusions in the breakdown policy documents.  I think my 7.95m trailer would only be covered for roadside recovery by Britannia (their maximum length limit is 8m) and by policies taken out as a member of one of the two caravan clubs (no size limits).  Everyone else (including as far as I can tell the AA) have a 7m limit and for the RAC, it’s 6.4m. In all cases, the limits are the same or less than the legal limits concerning maximum gross towing weight and trailer width.  This is presumably on the grounds that they don’t want to be seen to be supporting anyone who is towing outside the legal limits.
Graham

Bill Rollo

« Reply #25 on: 10 Mar 2020, 09:07 »
Graham,

my eventual solution last summer, when searching for European breakdown cover, was to go for the RAC Arrival policy, which included a year's membership of the Caravan Club. The absence of a length stipulation and breadth of the policy were key factors.

This initially looked extremely expensive, but when I rang the RAC a price matching discussion was possible.

I have not yet engaged with what happens when the policy is due for renewal!

Bill

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 11 Mar 2020, 11:43 »
Bill,

I can see that for overseas trailering, the expensive option is probably the only one in town.  For UK only, Britannia/LV= are a lot cheaper and have a length limit on trailers of 8m, including the A frame.  My braked trailer is 5cm less than this.  Britannia have an overseas option but I suspect that given how close to the limit my trailer is, it would be easy to get into a vigorous discussion with, say, a French breakdown truck driver about what they will and won’t do.
Graham

Bill Rollo

« Reply #27 on: 13 Mar 2020, 12:50 »
Graham,

thanks. No overseas plans  with Askari this summer so I''ll certainly have a look at LV when renewal comes up.

Bill