Author Topic: Events Summer 2007  (Read 10200 times)

Craic

Events Summer 2007
« on: 29 Aug 2007, 10:04 »
Hi folks,
it's been quiet here lately, I suppose most were away on holiday. So, what has been up this summer, if summer is the right word? Any notable journeys or events?
I heard some Swallowboats were in the Teifi SC rally, how did it go?
Anyone heard about the Raid Finland?
We ourselves will be off raiding in the Netherlands from later today, the Dorestad Raid. Then I heard there will be one BayRaider participating in the Shipyard School Raid in Canada this coming weekend.
Any news and chatter anyone about this years events?
Claus

Matt Newland

Re: Events Summer 2007
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2007, 08:04 »
Hello Claus,
Yes, we had a few Swallow Boats turn up for the Teifi BC regatta here last weekend. Its really a drascombe race but being a local builder, they have extended it to Swallow Boats and others of a trad nature. There were two Storm 17s, Two Ness Yawls (Iain Oughtred designs), two BayRaiders and two drascombes, so everyone had someone to race. Probably the closest racing was the Storm 17s and Ness yawls who were very similarly matched. Unfortunately the race was aborted (or so we were told!) due to a thick blanket of sea fog that came down and obscured the final buoy on the last lap. Some boats claim they found it and so perhaps they won!
Next year I would like to make more effort to organise and muster as many UK Swallowboats and others as possible. There is plenty of room out in the Bay and sailing side by side in identical boats is a real treat.
We should have many more BayRaiders next year and I hope to encourage Storm 15 and 17 owners to come along too.
The Teifi BC puts on a BBQ in the evening and there are local campsites and B and B s available. If the weather is bad they run the race in the Estuary, so it is fairly cancellation proof.
Watch this space - as soon as I have a date I will let you know.
Best wishes,
Matt

Craic

« Reply #2 on: 03 Sep 2007, 10:25 »
Matt,
do count us in for the Teifi racing next year, either with SR 'Craic' or with the BR 'Llafurio' if that will be ready by then. Would love to meet all the other Swallowboaters I so far only know through correspondence.

Just back from Dorestad Raid, great stuff, 25 boats -some latecomers did not find space- only very different from Wales coastal sailing. All sheltered waters, some extremely shallow, miles and miles of reed-bordered tiny canals and dozens of bridges with less than 5m clearance. Extremely classy competitors, almost every boat had some carbon fibre piece somewhere if even under a 'traditional' looking camouflage. Many unstayed masts, which gave them a real advantage when negotiating the low bridges -and the many short stretches between them-. 

We were very happy with our own pure sailing performance, but must refine our mast stepping procedure, still took us too long each time. That's the great thing about these serious Raid events, one sees so many brilliant solutions on other boats, and all ideas are shared freely, in great team spirit.
What I found most notable was that one boat had fitted a pedal gear drive with a self-folding carbon fibre folding propeller which worked great and had no propeller drag, and one other boat could fit launching wheels under the hull while being afloat, an needed no trailer to be pulled up the slip out of the water. The good ideas never stop coming, sure we will see some more next season.

Regards,
Claus

David

« Reply #3 on: 04 Sep 2007, 21:08 »
Hello Claus,
Can you tell us more about,
 (and one other boat could fit launching wheels under the hull while being afloat, an needed no trailer to be pulled up the slip out of the water.) Sounds like a good idea?

Regards,
David

Craic

« Reply #4 on: 05 Sep 2007, 10:15 »
Hello Claus,
Can you tell us more about,
 (and one other boat could fit launching wheels under the hull while being afloat, an needed no trailer to be pulled up the slip out of the water.) Sounds like a good idea?

Regards,
David

Hi David.
That boat was a double-ender, quite lightweight, supposedly under 200kgs, around 20 ft. length. They had built a wooden and somewhat upholstered beam with a topside indentation according to the hull profile at a given position where the boat would be sufficiently balanced. The beam had good inflated wheels on either side. I did not watch them fit it, but they told me they had pulled the beam under the floating boat.
One guy then rowed the boat to the slipway, and together with another guy pulled it up the slip by hand, it only took a minute.
Their trailer was parked some distance away. It had two tracks and ramps, like a motorbike trailer, and they just pushed the boat up there and secured it, ready. It all really worked very neatly.
This is a great concept where the boats are kept ashore, need to be kept inside a short garage, or where access to a slip for car and trailer is difficult, especially where the car park is some way off. Would probably also work on hard tidal beaches.

Hope this helps.
Claus