Author Topic: The Epropulsion Spirit XS - A Horse for our Course?  (Read 59538 times)

Ray S

BRe 047 'Whimbrel's' mooring is at Redclyffe Yacht Club which is on the River Frome nearly as far west in Poole Harbour as you can get with a mast up. It is 8nm to the harbour entrance but a typical sail for us requires us to motor up the Frome for the first 2nm with a 4knot speed limit, before entering the Wareham Channel where we get our sails up - and of course similar on return. This is all quiet ANOB nature area and a lovely space to traverse – preferably - in peace!  Our Mariner 6 packs masses of energy – our 12 litre tank lasts us the whole season and it has been 100% reliable over four years. But its noise in the cockpit and the clunky starting process mars full enjoyment – is it time to go electric?

I checked out the Southampton Boat Show and Nestaway’s stand for the latest news. It was confirmed that the ePropulsion Spirit XS with 1018W battery was now available in an extra short shaft version and according to my interpretation of the drawings would fit my BRe.  This XS version is 100mm shorter than the standard short shaft. Might the Spirit do the job? These types of motors are now well used in sports boats of similar size and weight such as the RS21 to get to their racing areas and back and our motor requirements would be somewhat similar.  At the show the new Torqueedo 1103, similarly with a direct drive motor and somewhat comparable range and performance to the Spirit was demonstrated but unfortunately was not available in an extra short shaft version which I thought would be needed. 

Does it fit?
Ian Thomson of Nestaway Boats offered to bring a motor for testing at Redclyffe - but at short notice we had a two hour window.  Ian arrived at the pontoon and the first thing was to get 26kg of lumbago inducing Mariner 6 out onto its trolley.  “Arrgh!”  I’d forgotten it was screwed on for security with a hex bolt.  OK - tool kit out of the cabin and sorted, Mariner whipped out. Ian dropped the Spirit in; but my worst fears were realised; it was too tight all round under the tiller and it wouldn’t tilt sufficiently out of the lamellae!  Then I remembered the factory fitted wedge which was behind the engine mounting to make the Mariner fit. Tool kit out again and I hoped the wedge wasn’t glued in – luckily just two screws.  Ian dropped the engine in again and this time it fitted perfectly!  About 100mm clearance all round under the tiller and the engine tilted perfectly above the lamellae. When the motor is not running the propeller is free to spin which would be handy when sailing with the motor down but when it is up it could rotate a bit and interfere with the back of the tiller assembly. However, there is plenty of room with the propeller horizontal and what would be needed would be some sort of membrane or shelf beneath the tiller to keep them separate. There are little ledges either side of the engine bay on the BRe which seem to be about the right height to support such a shelf.

The final thing I wanted to check was the distance under the hull to the top of the propeller envelope.  Ian obliged by feeling under the lamellae and confirmed a roughly 100mm separation – perfect.  As for the lamellae the prop seemed to go up and down through them without fuss and more easily than with the three bladed Mariner.  Ian then sat back in the cockpit and said “OK all yours, where are we going?”  It was glorious day and we had one hour and twenty minutes left of Ian’s time to enjoy the motor. My plan was to go out to the start of the Wareham Channel as we would normally do under engine and then return to Ridge Wharf so that we could get Whimbrel out later – about 2nm out and 1.5nm back. I didn’t tell Ian that the last ten minutes of this time would be spent yomping the engine from Ridge Wharf back to Ian’s car at Redclyffe. So in practice we had 1 hour to cover 3.5 nm – should be easy!

Setting off
A small twist of the throttle got us going – spooky – no gears – no noise!  (Our Mariner has been 100% reliable starting, but what a performance – worst case was about 30 pulls of the cord in Falmouth once.  Starting has been getting better as we get to understand each other - this year more often than not it starts first time and then my crew and I have a laugh!  But it shouldn’t be like this in the 21st century should it?  What no electric start? Manual choke? You’re joking!)  So yes, moving off with the Spirit is truly spooky and truly wonderful! Anyway - we ambled up river to find a gap in the moorings to turn and I put both tillers right over.  I was immediately impressed that with no drag from a fuel pipe we could spin the motor much further round than the Mariner making for a nice tight turn.  It was high tide and we ventured down river at half throttle giving us 4knots very slightly assisted by a bit of flow from recent rains. My crew was ecstatic – “listen we can hear the birds!”  The engine noise she likened to the level of a sewing machine - not at all intrusive, no gear box whine from the direct drive motor! “There is something missing” my crew exclaimed – no vibration – no rattling locker catches!”   “Something else missing too – no petrol aroma, no carbon monoxide, just the sea air.” After 35 minutes we were at the Wareham Channel and well into the area that sails would normally go up so we turned back - we had 25 minutes to get back to Ridge. It was evident that the tide was now running out quite strongly so this would be a realistic test. Normally we would be two up – not three – and we would still have jib and mizzen up at this point on our return.  Our water ballast was in. Without sail assistance we upped the throttle a bit – maybe three quarters and we got back to Ridge on time – an overall average of 3.5 knots which compares exactly with the speed we normally run the Mariner in the river.

Battery Range
Back in Ridge we had to get 9kgs of battery and 10kgs of motor back to Redclyffe at a fast walking pace, this to test the portability of the unit as compared with a monolithic 26kg lump!
We’d used up about half the battery giving us a realistic range of 7nm at our speeds. Flat out would give a range of 5.5nm but just for an hour.  A time display lets you know the remaining battery duration and of course this varies as throttle settings change.  When sailing in Poole Harbour environs once our sails are up we always take routings which avoid narrow windward channels requiring the engine, but I can well imagine with the Spirit which is so quiet and easy to use we would use it to freely get up to such channels and anchorages.   This will eat up more into our battery capacity and we also have to allow for an early use of the motor on the return leg up the Wareham Channel if the weather turns adverse.  To confidently eat into the full capacity of the battery I would envisage taking a spare 1018W battery on board as a backup and alternate their use.  Charging times for the batteries is five hours but there is a fast charging option of 2.5 hours, which would be handy if stopping at a pub at lunchtime!

Costs
The Epropulsion Spririt is about £1500 and a second battery £900 – so £2400 for my application.  Sounds a lot, but in proportion to the price and value of the boat – maybe 10% - 12% - seems quite reasonable given the level of refinement you get. Small outboards might seem cheap, but to me they are correspondingly noisy, dirty and clunky to start – especially when you’re up a narrow shallow channel with no sea room, and drifting fast towards the lee side. We’ll report how we get on in 2020!

Michael Rogers

Re: The Epropulsion Spirit XS - A Horse for our Course?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2019, 17:59 »
Thanks for that detailed and encouraging report, Ray. I'll be very interested to hear how you get on. I strongly resist the idea that I'm getting too old to row the odd couple of miles when necessary, but I hope to go on sailing when rowing becomes a bit less fun. Also, one of the few times I've definitively thought an outboard would be kinda handy was rowing up those winding loops of the Frome up to Wareham, cricking my neck every half dozen strokes to avoid all those moored boats. And your crew is right - that stretch of river has magical not-to-be-disturbed-by noise wildlife.

I don't think I've caught sight of you yet in Poole Harbour. I'm small, green-and-cream, white junk-rigged sail (fairly distinctive), coming in through Sandbanks. I made it to Wareham - once! (see Library).

All the best.

Michael

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2019, 11:19 »
You get the impression that ePropulsion are better at responding to customer demands than Torqeedo.  They took the Torqeedo Travel and designed away a lot of the complaints about it:
Terrible intrusively whiny gearbox (ePropulsion got rid of the gearbox altogether by using direct drive)
Not enough battery range (their battery started out much larger than the Torqeedo one)
Battery sinks if dropped overboard (their battery floats)
Flimsy plastic skeg and several other parts (they have a metal skeg and their motor is generally more robust looking)
Two cables with dodgy connections into the battery (ePropulsion only have one)

Torqeedo's latest version of the Travel (the 1103CS) addresses many of these issues but probably only after looking at what ePropulsion was already offering.

And now ePropulsion have come up with a shaft length that is similar to the standard shaft length of most small outboards.  I remember being unimpressed when I asked a Torqeedo person several years ago why their so-called standard shaft was so much longer than everyone else's.   Part of the answer was that it was because the prop blades were longer than normal for efficiency purposes.  Fair enough but the rest of the additional length?  Well it is what it is and has remained so, necessitating complicated modifications either to our boats or to the motor itself so that it can be tilted out of the water within our BR outboard wells.

If I wasn't already a disgruntled owner of one of the older Torqeedo's, I'd definitely look at the ePropulsion offering.  Maybe give it a year or two so that they can beef up the battery even more. 

By the way, if you want to banish rudder uphaul/downhaul snagging misery, I've found that the modification in the attached photo works quite well in keeping the string out of harm's way.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Ray S

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2019, 17:08 »
Michael,

We'll look out for you next season off Brownsea Castle!

Graham,
Thanks for the point about the rudder uphaul/downhauls. They sometimes snag on the Mariner filler cap when tacking!  Nice little job for the winter to apply your fix.

JOD

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2019, 21:50 »
Interesting. I bought the XS version for my BR in August having got fed up with the noise, smell and unreliability of my 4 stroke Yamaha. The electric motor is so quiet, smooth and a piece of cake to operate; twist the handle one way and go forward, twist the other and reverse with no waiting for revs to drop then delay operating a lever. You need to watch for a few things. I have found like others that the cable can detach leaving you suddenly struggling to refit. Also the 'kill cord', which is held in place by magnetic action, can be dislodged also leading to sudden loss of power. Neither is a disaster if you realise what's happened but it's not always easy to see that the cable is not seating correctly. You need to be careful when brushing across the top of the motor.
I am apprehensive about the range but as I make a point of sailing on and off the mooring whenever possible it has not been a problem to date. However next season will be the time to test the range when calm periods out in the Blackwater might require longer use of the motor. The tide is rather strong out of my creek on springs so I need to take care to ensure plenty of charge is left for the return trip. A spare battery is the answer but they're rather pricey and I am reluctant to splash out at the moment and I know one other eprop owner who manages substantial journies on the Deben rather well. I would be interested to hear the experience of others on this. Nestaway are an excellent source of information and help. You can register for updates from the manufacturer which I get via Facebook.

JOD

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2019, 08:13 »
Nestaway in the UK sell both Torqeedo and ePropulsion motors and have an interesting comparison of the two here https://nestawayboats.com/shop/e-propulsion-spirit-1kw-electric-outboard/

I like the idea of the remote wireless throttle on the ePropulsion.  I usually only use the boat tiller for steering under power, with my motor locked in the straight ahead position.  In such circumstances having to have a second and less than robust tiller/throttle on the Torqeedo isn’t ideal.  They do make a remote throttle but it’s wired. 

I’m not sure that the ePropulsion remote throttle version (photo below) is available in the UK yet.  Unlike with the Torqeedo, having the eProp remote rules out also having the tiller/throttle and it comes with what for me would be unnecessary remote steering paraphernalia.
Graham

Ray S

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2019, 10:01 »
Graham,
Like you, I prefer to use the main rudder for steering under engine. On my one hour test I found that the epropulsion stayed in the straight ahead position even when not locked, which is rather handy.  I occasionally have to do a tight turn in the river by turning the engine in addition to the tiller and it is great  not to have to worry about unlocking the engine steering.

Sea Simon

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2019, 09:14 »
£900 for a spare battery!
And it will easily fit in a small holdall, I guess?

Do they engineer-in any way to secure it, say if it was left on charge,  unattended?
Rather like they do with laptops, for example.

With the Torqueedo I borrowed last year, this was one "stopper" for using the motor on a coastal cruise. Boat was on a swing mooring, mid river.
 No way to Securely leave a battery on charge, even in the yacht club overnight; we felt particularly vulnerable as there was a big event/regatta on, with many unknown/unidentified visitors about the place.

My new Honda 5 was the price of this spare battery, I worry about securing that lump to the boat. Although far less portable, they do disappear, even here in "sunny Cornwall".
I had a 11ft zodiac inflatable "borrowed" a few years back, although  it was eventually recovered; inflatables are perhaps similarly high value, relatively portable items?

Any thoughts?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2019, 10:59 »
Must admit I’m rather attracted to this outboard especially as the new shorter shaft will fit in the outboard well of my BR20. I currently use a Minn Kota for reservoir outings and a Mariner 4 HP for the sea, The Minn Kota with a 18 ah battery on Rutland is normally only used to motor up the creek to the pontoon however on some occasions where the wind has dropped and my “other half” is getting cold a little more oomph and a speedier return to the pontoon would be beneficial to getting her to agree to more winter sailing.

With a range of around 7nm at half speed this would be adequate for my occasional trips to the coast as well. I could consider a spare battery for longer voyages.

My reasons for change are

Less stress on whether the engine starts or doesn’t flood after engine stall.
No petrol on board.
No need to run the engine up at home in a bucket periodically.
None or reduced service charges

My reasons not to change

Range anxiety

Does anyone know how the engine copes with propellor jam from weeds or rope tangle, the Minn Kota blows the inline battery fuse. Does this unit have a trip or fuse

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2019, 20:54 »
If you live somewhere sunny, the ePropulsion solar charger kit for the battery would be tempting.  Twice the capacity of the Torqeedo version and about 25% cheaper.  Even in the sunniest climes, the ePropulsion would take a minimum of a whole day to fully charge.

I noticed in the manual that ePropulsion mentioned the suitability of a propeller with a lower pitch for slower and heavier boats (ie not lightweight planing inflatables) - like the Saildrive propeller on gas guzzler outboards.  No sign of it being available yet but it would make sense if they made one.
Graham

JOD

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2019, 14:52 »
Peter, the Spirit has two safety devices. The first is a cut-out if an obstruction causes any strain to the motor. The second is a setting whereby the leg can tilt up if it hits a grounding obstruction.
I changed to electric for the reasons you outline. The easy of operation, silence, lack of smell, lack of spillage  when filling on board, easier transportation as the battery detaches, easier maintenance (i.e. negligible). Like you I do not like the risk of a motor not starting when needed or suddenly stopping due to some fuel block (it usually happens when you really need power and keeping fuel and lines completely free of grains of mud or sand is very hard and there is the ever present problem of gumming if fuel is left more than 2 months; I have had heart stopping moments in Falmouth Harbour as well as the muddy creeks of the Blackwater).
The solar charger is not a practical on board solution. If you sail between places with access to a 3 pin socket then you are OK. I will consider a spare battery next year which will sort any anxiety on the range issue.
JOD

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2019, 12:43 »
Thanks Jod for the information i'm going to seriously consider parting with my Mariner 4 HP and Minn Kota and buying the Spirit XS. Just got back from collecting new BR20 from Cardigan yesterday so my "Boating Allowance" is a little extended at the moment but in the new year i think.
Please keep us all updated on your experiences with this kit.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Michael Rogers

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2019, 20:07 »
Is it possible to have the battery elsewhere in the boat, other than riding on the outboard itself? Do ePropulsion supply some sort of kit for this, or would it be something DIY? Presumably quite a lot of amps involved: I brushed up on Ohm's Law a few years ago, and have forgotten it all - again!!

Michael

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2019, 23:38 »
Michael,

There’s this cable, which gives you an extra two metres https://www.epropulsion.com/product-page/spirit-extension-power-cable.  You’d probably have to order it specially in the UK.
Graham

JOD

« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2019, 17:59 »
Extension cable is available and in stock when I ordered my motor.
JOD