Author Topic: The Epropulsion Spirit XS - A Horse for our Course?  (Read 63066 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: The Epropulsion Spirit XS - A Horse for our Course?
« Reply #120 on: 24 Apr 2021, 20:49 »
When your lamellae/venetian blinds in your outboard well need replacing, as they probably will eventually, you could install a wooden cover in their place.  Then the long eProp propeller is much easier to get up through the opening as you can actually see what it’s doing under the water.  You can also poke it with a stick if you need to.  Be very careful fishing around with your hands!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Martin Bevan

« Reply #121 on: 29 Apr 2021, 12:10 »
A question for ePropulsion owners out there.  I have a Spirit Plus XS on order, reputedly for delivery in May.  This is primarily to use on dinghies but also for my Bay Cruiser 23 where petrol outboards are not permitted.  The portable 100W solar panel and charger/controller looks interesting.  What would make it even more interesting if it could be connected into my existing solar controller to augment the boats fixed solar panels.  I understand from ePropulsion via the supplying dealer that the output voltage from the 100w panel is 18.7 or thereabouts.  This would be ideal to feed into my solar controller.  What is needed is a socket that matches the output lead from the folding panel. The input socket on the battery may be proprietary which could be a problem. Has anyone any advice or experience in respect of this?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #122 on: 08 Sep 2021, 16:03 »
Two new or nearly new eProp Spirits for sale on eBay from someone in Poole.  One of them is definitely the Plus (big battery) model.  I think that his price expectations may be unrealistic unless there’s a long waiting list for new ones (which appears not to be the case).
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #123 on: 09 Sep 2021, 16:03 »
And another one on eBay from someone in Chichester, at a more sensible price.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #124 on: 15 Sep 2021, 11:28 »
There’s a test of 12 small electric outboards and trolling motors in the latest issue of ‘Yachting Monthly’.  Their winner is the eProp Spirit Evo, both for its 40% bigger battery capacity than the equivalent Torqeedo 1103 and for its electric regeneration properties.  I question how useful the latter feature is for the likes of us (costing £600 extra) as it generates very little power at 4-5 knots.  On a strictly like-for-like basis, the non-Evo version of the Spirit is for me clearly preferable to the Torqeedo 1103, being £350 cheaper, having a 40% greater range and perhaps most important of all, having been designed from the outset to be significantly more robust.

I was talking to someone from Nestaway at the Southampton Boat Show the other day.  They see the eProp Evo regeneration feature as being most useful for cruising yachts, allowing them to top up their dinghy motor battery on the go, without eating into the house battery supply or having to find a mains socket at a marina.  When eProp finally come out with their long-promised DC-DC converter, the Evo will also be useful for topping up 12V house batteries. 

He was careful with his reaction when I compared and contrasted eProp and Torqeedo, as they are agents for both!
Graham

MarkDarley

« Reply #125 on: 19 Oct 2021, 17:57 »
In our lightweight boats I see no real place for the regeneration of the Evo unless you really want to slow down.  How often do we want to do that?
In a heavier displacement boat the drag will make less difference.

Personally I consider my boat a sailing vessel that once in a great while needs a little help to get into a marina berth that is too tight for oars, or up a fast flowing tidal river with little room to tack.
I use my Epropulsion Spirit Plus infrequently and I have yet to run it below 25% even after a week of cruising.  I do not miss fuel, grease and noise in the boat!

I really value it on the stern of my tender after a tiring day out when it replaces a long row from my mooring to the dock in foul flood tide and an a Easterly! 
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Anyone can uk

« Reply #126 on: 24 Nov 2021, 19:15 »
Is it a known fact that the small shaft Epropulsion outboards (rather than the extra small) will not work with the BRE outboard well.

I know the xs is the obvious “correct” engine for most but we have a unique use case.

It would be better for us if the tiller came off and throttle was remote this would create a better space for wheel chairs. Thus we would ideally like an evo model that only come in short and above.

I haven’t done much research yet and I thought someone else might be able to save me allot of time if they’ve already looked at options.

Many thanks Chris

Ray S

« Reply #127 on: 25 Nov 2021, 16:16 »
Our experience with eProp is that it isn't necessary to keep raising the outboard into the well - we often leave it down while sailing.  It doesn't seem to make much difference speed-wise if the prop is free-spinning while sailing.

We find it helpful in restricted waters to keep it down, so that it is always ready.  I would have thought therefore you could take the S option.  After all, there are many small cruisers, Shrimpers and things which can only have the outboard in the vertical position.

Try and get a trial or a sale or return if you can, just to test out the concept.
Sounds like a great application you describe.

Ray S
Whimbrel 047

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #128 on: 25 Nov 2021, 17:18 »
A recent post on the Epropulsion Facebook page made reference to damaging the Spirit 1 outboard if you leave the prop in the water and allow the prop to free spin whilst under sail. Numerous comments of concern raised in comments but no answer that I could see from the technical department. I will dig out the manual and see what that has to say.

Ok found some info on page 12 of the manual under outboard WARNING

Do not leave the outboard in the water if the boat is driven by other forms of power such as sailing or rowing

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

J P Thompson

« Reply #129 on: 26 Nov 2021, 15:53 »
Yes Peter I had those concerns as well regarding leaving the prop in the water but I had cause to take my battery down to Southampton to Epropulsion technical for a new connector and asked that specific question and they said so long as it is not left switched on then should be fine. I am unable to raise the outboard on my BC 23 as you know.
The repair was completed on the same day FOC and brought back to me after the boat show.
Can’t complain about after-sales.

Matthew P

« Reply #130 on: 27 Nov 2021, 16:24 »
It would be better for us if the tiller came off and throttle was remote....

Has anyone used a "ThrustMe Kicker"? - yes, you are still on the Swallow Yachts forum page.

I'm hoping it's powerful enough to manoeuvre Tarika in tight spots and away from the shallows of Bala town slipway and powerful enough ("16Kg thrust") to drive Hilda when I'm too lazy to row.  I don't know if it's powerful enough for a fully laden BRe but it might be OK for manoeuvring in a marina.

It seems well made, weighs 4.5 Kg, has a remote control, removable tiller, quiet and various other good features. Duration at max thrust claimed 35 min and min thrust 2.5 hrs.  An external battery can be fitted.

https://www.thrustme.no/eu/kicker-eu#Specifications

The Norwegian design company is rumoured to be developing a more powerful version for bigger boats.

Matthew
BR17 Tarika
CLC/Fyne Boats Northeast[er]

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #131 on: 10 Apr 2022, 13:25 »
Mercury Marine have announced that next year they are bringing out a range of electric outboards that seem to be targeted to compete at the lower end with the likes of Torqeedo and ePropulsion. 
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #132 on: 21 Jun 2022, 17:00 »
There’s an eProp Spirit extra short shaft (suitable for a BayRaider) on sale on eBay for what looked like an absolute bargain price of £750.  Except that it doesn’t have a battery, which would probably cost another £900.
Graham

Michael Rogers

« Reply #133 on: 27 Jun 2022, 22:10 »
Hallo Matthew and all,

Thanks for the link about the Thrustme Kicker, which looks VERY interesting from my point of view - on my recent outing I faced a possible 2 mile row as the wind appeared to die (it didn't in the end), and I have decided to treat myself to not having to face possible rowing like that in future. (Rather encouragingly, my family agrees!)

Lots of things to like about the Kicker, the crucial question being - does it have the oomph? Range queries seem to be answered by the external battery option. The adverts and two reviews I've seen have it driving squishy little inflatable tenders. I suppose it's possible that one of those isn't all that hydrodynamic in terms of thrust needed to push it along, and that the Kicker could propel something larger? I'd like to see more reviews, and something a bit more objective than 'We're moving along very nicely....'

It arrived this month, and all the outlets who've advertised it seem to have sold out already, so anyone who can feed back for us would have had to have been very quick off the mark to get one. Doubtless supply/demand will settle down in due course.

So, more information please when it's available.

Michael Rogers

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #134 on: 28 Jun 2022, 08:29 »
Michael,

There’s a short review of the ThrustMe Kicker here https://www.mby.com/video/thrustme-kicker-electric-outboard-motor-117988.  Compared to the Temo (now available in the UK https://www.billhigham.co.uk/product/temo-450-electric-outboard/), the ThrustMe appears to be slightly lighter, is cheaper and has a bit more static thrust.  The Temo has a marginally bigger battery and being French, is more chic-looking.  The photo of a tough-looking Norwegian fisherman using the ThrustMe can’t disguise the fact that it’s made of quite a lot of plastic.
Graham