Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

BC26 Motor Control Cable Routing

<< < (4/4)

AndyB:
For those with Mercury outboards especially if you have a mercury control box.

***The Force4 cables do not fit this setup. - The black circular post in the picture is fastened to the cable. If anyone wants a set of 8ft Force4 cables do let me know***

Control Box
The control box works in a way that scissors work. The cables go up and down as the handle is pushed back and forward. After a while the black circular post comes stuck to the control box case ( metals are a wrong match) and the scissors effect stops.  The extra electric cable which is stuffed into the wooden cover stops the cables going up and down. I have moved the extra cable outside the cover and built a new cover to cover it.

These 2 are the main causes of stiffness in the handle

The solution from what I can see is to regularly maintain the control box. Ensure the cables can go up and down  easily. I would do this yearly or when you have not used it for a time.

Length of control cables
I have/had 8ft cables which were recommended by the engine people as being the best fit. I then showed them pictures of Nick's and Madhu's 7ft cables and they then changed their mind and said you should use 7ft. I have installed normal Mercury 7ft cables ( not the fancy, bendable high cost ones as they were not available). It clearly fits better but has the downside that when the engine is not attached to the rudder and you move the handle on the control box the engine (when running) moves to port. However the cables do not form a complete circle underneath the engine and on balance as it works fine with the rudder attached it is the way to go.

Summary
From testing, the stiffness of the cables comes primarily from the control box freezing up over time, stopping the scissoring effect . The length of the cable causes stiffness but this increases more with the direction of the motor. The cables will break helped by the 8ft length but primarily because the cables have fused to the control box and stop rotating.

Time will tell....

Andy B

Sea Simon:
May be of interest? Fyi.

The new F4 HQ/distribution depot is at Stonehouse, on the Stroud turn off (just N of Bristol) on the M5. Close to motorway.
Returns collections much more convenient  than previous Nailsworth location.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version