Author Topic: Events 2009  (Read 19149 times)

Matt Newland

Events 2009
« on: 26 Sep 2008, 20:58 »
Right, it is time to sort out some possible events for next summer.

First is the Semaine du Golfe du Morbihan, in France. Fantastic event. 18th-24th May.

Sail Caledonia is from 23-30th May.

Round the Island Race is 20th June. We already have one SeaRaider down for it and will be looking into getting more boats entered. I would love to see a strong contingent of BayRaiders, so if you are interested, please let me know.

There must be other events, keep adding please.

Best wishes,
Matt

Craic

Re: Events 2009
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2008, 07:31 »
Just noticed that they have already started the registration for Morbihan Week 2009 at http://www.semainedugolfe.asso.fr/index.php?langue=gb&mod=accueil . We registered our BR 'Llafurio'.

After Morbihan, there'll probably be another edition of the 'Velalonga Raid' around Venice Lagoon, a great adventure for shallow water boats.: www.velalonga.com .

Then, around early September 2009 there will probably be another 'Dorestad Raid' in the Netherlands, http://www.natuurlijkvaren.nl/?p=53 .

Looks like 2009 will be another busy year for Raiders.

Craic

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2008, 07:52 »
There are several photo collections of the Velalonga Raid 2008 on the web, though somewhat hidden. Try http://www.flickr.com/photos/17001721@N08/sets/72157605521224010/show/ or http://picasaweb.google.it/rachfil/VELALONGARAID?authkey=g9bWyJLqoaw#slideshow .

Craic

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2008, 10:37 »
Sorry, I forgot:
If you register for Morbihan, register your Swallowboat (any) NOT for the Sail & Oar (Voile Aviron) flotilla.
Reason: The vast majority of boats in the typical Sail & Oar fleet in France consists of fierce small craft. Therefore such fleet is only let out in up to moderate winds and is typically kept in the most sheltered waters. Swallowboaters would find that clearly boring.
Rather register for the 'Petit Plaisance Traditionelle' fleet, there are a good bit heartier boats in that. That fleet also does one or two good races during the week.

Craic

« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2008, 17:43 »
Still early days,
but I already heard of five (5) BRs that will attend at Morbihan week. Any more?

Tony

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2008, 20:36 »
Hi, Claus.
Any room for a Cardigan Bay Lugger? A 5 knot (max) tortoise to your BayRaider hares, I fear, but at least I have somewhere for the crew to go when it rains -which was most of the week last time, if I remember correctly.
 Come to think of it the crew is in Oz at the moment so Ill be single handed. Room to stretch in the cabin and no-one to stop me shaking a reef out!

Craic

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2008, 12:31 »
Tony,
and how is your Italian?:

Here is excellent news from Venice, just in this morning:

>> Non è ancora ufficiale, ma penso di potervi dare per sicuro il calendario di Vogalonga, Velalonga e Velalonga Raid.
Così potete fissare i vostri impegni 2009.

Vogalonga: domenica 31 Maggio 2009

Velalonga Raid 2-3-4-5  Giugno 2009

Prova la Vela e Cena pre-Velalonga 6 giugno 2009
Velalonga 7 Giugno 2009
Premiazioni Velalonga Raid e Velalonga 2009  7 Giugno 2009 a fine regata.<<

Meaning, from Morbihan one can proceed straight on to Venice. Bliss!

Michael Rogers

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2008, 23:54 »
This is not exactly "events", so please excuse my cheek if I am misusing the forum. I can't make the Morbihan week, sadly. However, we would very much like to take our boat (Storm Petrel) to the Morbihan area in August (yes, the dreaded) or possibly September 2009. Usual searches for gite-type accommodation hasn't turned up anything actually on or even reasonably near the water! (An alleged 10 minute drive every time raises all sorts of boat accommodation problems etc). Do any of you Morbihan regulars have any suggestions how/where we might search for sailing-friendly self-catering accommodation in that general area? Any suggestions very welcome.

Ian Cowie

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2008, 21:17 »
Will there be a repeat of last years event with Tefi Boat Club where a mixture of boats can attend. Last year it was on the 28th and 29th June.

Ian Cowie

Craic

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2008, 19:43 »
Ian,
I heard Matt is away this week at the Earls Court Boat Show and may not be able to post from there, hopefully will respond after that.

Do I remember correctly you are on Anglesey? Because, last year I drove from Cardigan up to Holyhead on the coast road and was absolutely taken by the waters around Aberdyfy. Prime Raid area there, would you have heard of a small open boat event there in 2009?
C.

Ian Cowie

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2008, 21:55 »
No I am afraid I'm not.I live in the Bristol area.

I unfortunately missed last year's rally at Cardigan

I bring my Lugger each year to a Camping and Carvanning Boat Club rally each year at Parrog, Newport which is the next estuary south along the coast. I have sailed to Cardigan from there in my Drascombe Lugger.

My daughter is at Aberstwyth University and is my main crew.

I have been following the debate on the Drascombe Forum closely. I beleive that Swallowboats will be the beneficaries of a lack of development of the Drascombe range if they rely on JW's designs alone.

Craic

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2008, 12:28 »
Ian,
Newport to Cardigan in a Lugger? Respect.
Sorry I mixed you up with someone else hereabouts.
Made a typo, the place I meant is Aberdovey or Aberdyfi. Do look it up, it's excellent. Maybe one day we could have a rally there.

Craic

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2008, 20:26 »
Ian,
sorry for getting my navigation a bit wrong, from where I live I could just see that other Newport. However, anyone braving the Wales coast and enjoying that deserves respect. Regardless of whichever brand of boat one uses. Out on the wild seas -at least- we all are in the same boat.

Tony

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:40 »
Semaine du Golfe  18th - 24th May 2009

How many of the Swallow Boats Flotilla are up for the free oysters and Chablis this time around?

Claus?
Are you taking the Sea Raider or the battleship grey Llafurio?  (Very smart with her new name board.)
The Four Sisters will give you a race –  if I make time to scrub off last seasons barnacles....and as long as you tow a really large bucket!

Cheers!
Tony

Craic

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2009, 18:29 »
Hi Tony,
my last count stopped at 5 BayRaiders, with a sixth BR announced, and with luck -and delivery- there may be a further two BRs, 8 BRs would be quite a display, and enough for some private racing.
About any Storm Xs coming I have no knowledge, but there should be some as well.

The oysters, the Chablis, and then (in Port Blanc) there will again be these delicious Galette with Roquefort topping, baked crisp around the edges and with a light lettuce salad and that garlicky dressing,  Or these crispy charcoal grilled sardines with green salad (in Port Navalo). All enjoyed in warm sunshine, Ohlala!
We'll be 4 aboard Llafurio, family crew. Our daughters decided to come along this time.
Yes, we are very much looking forward already.
CU,
Claus