Author Topic: The Beagle launched in Luxembourg  (Read 16583 times)

Leo Colsell

The Beagle launched in Luxembourg
« on: 24 Jan 2009, 14:45 »
Stimulated by viewing the fine new BayRaider at the Boat Show, I must put on record  that my Storm 15 has actually been completed and launched. It sported the Luxembourg maritime flag, De Roude Léiw, and stood out amid the tupperware, attracting lots of interest and compliments from enthusiasts.

I should point out that the boarding step I attached at the stern (see the Going for a swim? thread) was tried out by my agile daughter and found to be ineffective. By itself, it certainly is not the solution.

I am very pleased with the Swallow-designed oars (which I leathered) and the way the boat rows in general. I looked at the prices of smart brass fairleads, then made some myself out of oak off-cuts. They look good and saved me £100 for the four of them.

The Mecanorem combination trailor is great; I am glad I opted for the larger road wheels.

I am still getting to know how sail it efficiently; the lake is a dammed river and is thus hemmed in by steep hills, which means swiftly changing wind direction and some turbulence. I find that going about is very tricky in these circumstances but it is great fun learning.

Many thanks to all those who have contributed to the forum and of course to Matt for all the advice while building; as a novice and working alone, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Tony

Re: The Beagle launched in Luxembourg
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2009, 13:21 »
Hi, Leo.
Well done on the launch of the Beagle.
Any chance of a few photos?

Sorry to hear that your (quote) agile daughter found the boarding step unsatisfactory, but this is a common experience for those of us without transomes! Perhaps the /Going For a Swim/ thread needs bringing back to life for owners of Storm s 15 to 19 - and, of course, Storm 19-based CBL. The sheer physical effort needed to get back on board certainly stops ME from taking a casual dip. How I would re-board in a genuine emergency I have yet to work out. Any thoughts?

Julian Swindell

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2009, 16:26 »
Tony and Leo,
Getting back in a double-ender is a real problem. I am not familiar with the boat, but I noticed on a picture posted by Ray (link below I hope) that there is a potential step on the top of the rudder blade at about water level:

http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=204.0;id=235;image

Would it be possible to cut a foot-shaped hole lower down, right through the blade, for you left foot. A heave might get your right foot up on that step and another heave might get you high enough to get back in. The rudder fittings need to be strong enough to take your weight, but that should be possible. Would not be elegant, but when you want to get out of the water, you do not care how you do it.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Leo Colsell

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2009, 16:58 »
Many thanks for the interest expressed, and especially for Julian's suggestion of a toe-hole in the rudder, which I shall investigate. I did not manage to post the photos successfully last time and gave up. I shall try again.