Author Topic: Venetian Velaraid 2021  (Read 3188 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Venetian Velaraid 2021
« on: 30 Sep 2021, 12:21 »
French-based Roger Barnes of Dinghy Cruising Companion fame has just posted a marvellous video of his time on the Venice Lagoon in company with French and Italian-owned small sailing boats, including a BC23, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN-cKBpii6s.

This took place without any UK publicity that I could find.  Probably because of COVID-19.  Or was it Brexit? 8)
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

spikeandco

Re: Venetian Velaraid 2021
« Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2021, 16:37 »
I have become addicted to Roger’s videos and found the Venice trip particularly enjoyable ????
Spike and Angela
BR 20 ‘Weatherwax’. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Yamaha 6. Based Weymouth

MarkDarley

Re: Venetian Velaraid 2021
« Reply #2 on: 06 Oct 2021, 22:33 »
Graham, probably Brexit was the cause of no UK notice.  Slightly annoying as we were already in Europe for 11 weeks with Pippin so could have diverted to Venice, and I am on their email list.  We had not intended to stay so long out of the country but probable quarantines on each return from Europe to the UK meant that we elected to extend everything and keep going, the thinking being that if we have to pay for a Covid hotel in the UK, we would much rather be in an Airbnb or on the boat somewhere warmer and keep sailing!...Spain, Sardinia (without Pippin who stayed in Spain), Ireland.  We had a ball.

Roger's account is a great video and I would love to join them one year. 2023?
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!