Author Topic: share the joy  (Read 14547 times)

Bill Strange

share the joy
« on: 12 Jul 2009, 18:00 »
I started to Danish oil the mahogany(sapele) just to protect it in preparation for painting. This was the first "finishing" of the build. I must be geting somewhere. It looked so good that I completed the 4 coats recommended. The curves of the gunwhales and the tiller looked so sexy I kept going out to look and feel. I don't know why but I have never used Danish oil before. More of a varnish man. But it is so easy and it seems to give a harder finish than I expected.
I hope I have attached a photo

Tony

Re: share the joy
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2009, 18:34 »
Hi.
Nice bit o woodwork there,Bill.
Ive used Danish Oil for years on woodwork inside and out and have no complaints - bar one. It doesnt stand up to high UV and salt levels too well.
If you can keep slapping on - or rather, use a cloth to wipe it on in a spare moment- it is quick and easy to maintain on a "little and often" basis.
Will confess to using Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 myself as, being a woodstain, it covers dings and scrapes better...and lasts under the Greek sun, too.
Good luck with the rest of the build. Have you chosen a colour scheme yet?

Bill Strange

Re: share the joy
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2009, 07:20 »
Thanks Tony
Paint choosing is difficult. But will go for International Toplac Donegal Green with the tops in matt Ivory. Perfection and perfection is too difficult do and pay for! I keep saying it's a boat to be used but somehow you want it to shine like a grand piano.

What size should posted photos be?