Author Topic: Seafair Haven 2022  (Read 14362 times)

garethrow

Seafair Haven 2022
« on: 08 Feb 2022, 16:48 »
I note there is a facebook message from Tall Ships Wales that Seafair Haven will be happening this year on 18th to 25th June, with 'details to follow'.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
BR20 Halen Y Mor

MarkDarley

Re: Seafair Haven 2022
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2022, 06:33 »
Unfortunately it conflicts with Falmouth Classic and the OGA Helford Rally.
 I have been wanting to come up for Seafair Haven. I hear it is wonderful.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

garethrow

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2022, 16:56 »
More details now published on this event by Tall Ships Trust: http://www.tallships.wales/events/

If you haven't been before, it is a geat piece of water to sail on . We shall probably attend.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
BR20 Halen Y Mor

Matthew P

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2022, 09:46 »
Thanks Gareth   

I've booked to attend Seahaven, Pembrokeshire in my BR17 Tarika at

http://www.tallships.wales/events/

Matthew
BR17 Tarika
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

BobT

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2022, 14:37 »
We've booked to attend but heard nothing back yet. Been along previous years and it's been great fun with a wide variety of vessels on the water.
Bob & Kim with Escape
Bob
BRe "Escape"

garethrow

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2022, 15:50 »
Good to hear you are attending Bob
I have spoken to the activity centre at Lanion Cove and get the impression that they are feeling their way into this as it is new to them. They have various small patches of land for tent camping (at £20/ tent, not £20/person as indicated on the Trust's blurb!) and say they will allow campervans to use the waterside car park for free - which we might go for. The bigger dilema is overnight mooring. The activity centre say anchoring in the cove is fine providing it is not too windy. Daily launch and retrieve is possible but a bit of a chore. Rudders boat yard have quoted me £70 for a weeks swinging mooring and there is a free water taxi for the week. We are undecided at present what to do but may end up anchoring if calm nights are forecast or retrieving if they aren't.
Looking forward to it.
Regards

Gareth Rowlands
BR20 Halen Y Mor

Tim Leary

« Reply #6 on: 04 Apr 2022, 14:51 »
All booked up and leave from work organised.
Leven Lady BR20 will be there and hoping to pick up tips from old hands!
Will be launching and recovering each day. My local launch spot - once mast up in car park, could be left up for the week if boat being left there each night. I’m sure the campers / vanners will keep an eye on the boats overnight.
Look forward to meeting you all.
Tim Leary.

BobT

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2022, 17:19 »
See you all there. Kim, I and Escape are all booked. We are staying at a local Airbnb and will probably launch recover each day.
Cheers to all.
Bob
BRe "Escape"

garethrow

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2022, 17:31 »
Yep, see you there Bob. I have bitten the bullet and decided to hire a mooring at Rudders yard for the week (£70) - must be getting lazy in my old age.

Regards
Gareth Rowlands, BR20 Halen Y Mor

SueTo

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2022, 12:11 »
Joining this as newbies and hoping to pick up some tips from the 'old hands'. We are on BRe 112 Susurrus, berthed in Neyland marina. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Sue and Richard.

garethrow

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2022, 14:27 »
We look forward to seeing you there Sue and Richard. The week is usually pretty laid back to say the least! It sounds as if thre will be at least 5 Swallows there.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands, BR20 Halen Y Mor

garethrow

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2022, 18:03 »
Spent a pleasent day today on local reconaisance. The Llanion Activity centre has had little / no demand for bunkhouse or camping accommodation so have let their rooms out to youth groups (their core business) instead. This has the unfortunate effect of making the showers unavailable to anyone (like us) who was intending to park up on the quayside for the week in a campervan. As a plan B we have found a reasonable campsite nearby at Shipping Farm, just across the bridge at £16/ night cash. No electric but the farmer will charge radios / phone overnight. Showers and water included. No online presence - Tel Jim on 01646 600286

The Llanion centre are asking for a feel on peoples' needs for water transport to moorings / anchored vessels etc. For instance, we will require a daily ferry to / from a mooring at rudders yard. Does anyone else have similar requirements, or is everyone launching / retrieving daily? I told them I would ask on this forum and give them feedback. They will give launching assitance where required and safe parking space for trailers.

I gather that the plan for the week will come together a few days beforehand once numbers and weather are clearer. We just wanted a bit more certainty about where we were going to camp - hence this day trip for recon.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
Halen Y Mor BR20

Matthew P

« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2022, 10:42 »
Thank you Gareth - good work.   

Spent a pleasant day today on local reconnaissance.

Do you know how secure boats and their contents will be if they are retrieved and parked overnight on at the Llanion Activity centre?   Or would it be possible to tow boats back to Shipping Farm for overnight campers?

Matthew
BR17 Tarika
Northeast[er] Hilda

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

garethrow

« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2022, 12:39 »
Matthew – I am not sure
The centre manager, Steve Roblin (07904 955974) told me there was secure storage for trailers in a compound, but I don’t know if this would extend to storage of boats – as  I did not ask the question. If the boats are left in the quayside – then probably not secure, as I presume not too many people camping there if no access to showers. Towing back to campsite (Shipping Farm) would be viable as the road is good and distance short, but best ask the farmer Jim if that would be OK. You could try phoning Steve direct for clarification on this. He is flying a bit blind at present as he has little feel for numbers or demand for services other than no take up of his accommodation. Hence my offer to trawl this forum for Swallow owners ferrying or launch / retrieve requirements , which I will then feedback to him.
Regards
Gareth R
BR20 Halen Y Mor

SueTo

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2022, 11:49 »
Will be motoring up from the marina as soon as we can get out over the cill around 7am. When we get to Llanion we will need to moor or anchor and get ashore for the briefing somehow. Will there be a rib/safety boat fir this please?