Author Topic: Launched at last!!  (Read 27718 times)

Bob Jennings

Launched at last!!
« on: 27 Sep 2006, 23:54 »
Boat finally totally finished and launched today. Wind at 15 knots gusting to 25 directly onshore so we had an exciting hour during which the wind got stronger and we finally admitted defeat!!

But floats OK and seems to sail fine. Will try in the next lot of lighter winds we get and try to get some pictures in sail

Ian Crockatt

Re: Launched at last!!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2006, 22:04 »
Bob - congratulations - she looks really well put together, and dauntingly smart!
I've just finished constructing my storm 15  hull- lots of cleaning up and sanding to do - and am making rudder and tiller etc. Won't finish till December, I reckon. Also has the straight bow. Have added some "extras", with cruising in mind.
Look forward to more of your sailing photos.
Best wishes,

Ian Crockatt

Ian Crockatt

« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2006, 19:35 »
Hi Bob,  extras include bronze cleat on foredeck - bolted through the kingplank, with backing plate, before fitting the deck - and fairleads, so I can anchor or tie up in harbour.  Will also be fitting brass keelband to protect the keel and stem. I also fitted rubbing strakes - or colour breaks as Matt calls them - along the top chine as additional protection, and also because I like the look of them. These are all features the Storm 17 has, and apart from the rubbing strake I've been used to them on previous bought boats. I put glass cloth on the bottom too, to increase resistance to abrasion - I found that tricky and haven't made a very good job of it. I'm not a skilled woodworker and it's going to be a workmanlike rather than craftsmanlike finish. I certainly didn't get an accurate fit with the outer gunnels as you did....

Happy sailing!

Ian

Thanks - what extras are you adding as once I can sail better I want to do some 'inshore cruising'

Regs
Bob
Bob - congratulations - she looks really well put together, and dauntingly smart!
I've just finished constructing my storm 15  hull- lots of cleaning up and sanding to do - and am making rudder and tiller etc. Won't finish till December, I reckon. Also has the straight bow. Have added some "extras", with cruising in mind.
Look forward to more of your sailing photos.
Best wishes,

Ian Crockatt

Ian Crockatt

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2006, 20:34 »
Hi Bob - I got brass strip - half inch width - via Classic Marine, which is where Swallow boats get their brass gudgeons, etc. It comes in 10ft lengths. Order brass screws at the same time. If you got your fairleads etc locally they may also have brass strip. Classic marine will drill holes, at a cost; I'm doing my own.
Yes, great minds - I also chose tan sails - your second picture looks good - do you find the boat reasonably stable?
Ian