Author Topic: Swallow Yachts Raid Mylor 2022  (Read 12234 times)

BobT

Swallow Yachts Raid Mylor 2022
« on: 28 Jun 2022, 21:45 »
Looks like we might be arriving Saturday and may launch Sunday. Anyone else arriving early?
Look forward to catching up.
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Swallow Yachts Raid Mylor 2022
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2022, 09:57 »
Arriving Sunday pm.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

johnguy

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2022, 10:27 »
We are not booked into the raid but we will be there with Merlin from Friday for a week, staying in Mylor cottages. Will be nice to see you.

BobT

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2022, 15:19 »
I have provisionally booked a place on the visitors pontoon for Sunday night.  HT looks to be about 3pm. Intent is to rig and launch late morning and then a shakedown sail anyone else interested, John? Clearly this is travel & weather dependent.
Cheers,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

johnguy

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2022, 18:07 »
i'll look out for you sunday. Am with some non sailing chums, not sure yet how it will pan out. We launch friday and have a berth for the week, certainly they will put us all together anyway. plan to sail every day but will also be doing walks etc .  Have a good trip and see you sunday.

Nicky R

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2022, 21:01 »
We’re hoping to arrive Sunday pm. Not sure whether we’ll be in time to launch on Sunday or whether we’ll be sleeping in the boat park and launching very early Monday morning. Our shakedown sail will have to be Monday!
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Sea Simon

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2022, 20:41 »
Sorry to be missing all the fun...again...was booked...
This year's excuse: Broken wrist, arm in cast. No driving, much less any boating!

Hoping the weather is kind to you all.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jul 2022, 16:39 »
Covid recovery permitting, Lockdown and party will be arriving sometime on Monday.........See you all then. We can talk Evo batteries well into the evening.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Ape Ears

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jul 2022, 12:26 »
In view of the current resurgence of cases I am not sure we should be considering entertaining 'Lockdown' parties ?

Discussing 'evo'lution in a marina environment could also lead to a potential charge of a salt and battery !

Looking forward to arriving Sunday pm in Falmouth.

Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

BobT

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2022, 13:19 »
Sadly Covid struck the morning we were going to set off so we will not be making it to this years event. Hope you all have a great time and we'll try not to be too jealous.
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Matthew P

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2022, 14:18 »
Thank you Lara and Matt of Swallow Yachts for organising a memorable week.

Great venue, great boats, great sailing, great weather, great food and great companions! 

Matthew
On CraiC

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2022, 14:41 »
More of the same.  Who needs the Caribbean when we have this at home?  Some brave souls even went swimming, attracting the attention of an inquisitive seal.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2022, 18:33 »
Q. GW...

Nice photo, the waters hereabouts have been unusually clear lately.

I see you have your assim with furler rigged; i thought that was sold?
Or, do you now have a better installation?
Interested to learn more please, as i (too?) am thinking about retracing my earlier furler ideas. Mainly to try to live up to my handicap in mixed fleets!

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2022, 19:02 »
Simon,

It’s a direct copy of Guy Rossey’s code zero, on an anti-torque cable and a stainless continuous furler, as photographed here https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,721.msg5263.html#msg5263.  The sail is by Véga Voiles in the Camargue and the furler is also French, a Hookmatic.  Of course, there are loads of associated refinements which add to the package, the very opposite of KISS.  But it’s robust and works very well.  It can be dropped at sea from the cockpit and I can then attach my flying jib on the same furling equipment if the weather isn’t right for a code zero.  Or the 2:1 halyard can act as a forestay if the weather is even worse.  And all while sailing solo and keeping off the foredeck.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2022, 19:29 »
Thanks GW, I've been tempted by a Karver 0.9 package, at a good price...but am fretting about my potential "bat wings"!
This as a top down furler for my assim.

Anyway in any event, , my sailmaker is away, and I'm not fit enough to get out to the boat to measure up...it'll all have to wait.
...From Oct 22.