Author Topic: BR 20 water in front floatation and general issues with older boats?  (Read 5938 times)

david

For that kind of budget I can get a newly restored folk boat with new sails, trailer and electric drive system and still have some change left - or a Beneteau First 211 in top condition.
(Completely different story, but you could even get an IOD yacht for half that price - that seems crazy).
[/quote]

I have always liked the Beneteau 211. I would probably go for the Beneteau considering the state of the BayRaider! (Even knowing that the Beneteau will take longer to set up and take down after each sail.)
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Sea Simon

I can see your point re the Beneteau...and I like the sound of the Folk Boat too...

But, as I'm sure you are aware, the IOD is a bit apples v pears...good luck with finding a mooring for that, never mind an affordable one (because you won't be trailer sailing), and then there is the need for expensive parts/maintenace/sails to sail to its rating....there have been several attempts to do so hereabouts. ;D

If you are in need of a REAL money pit, sorry I mean wealthy mans toy, there is a beautiful classic International 6m, in quite good condition (Doyle stratis sails, rod rigging etc etc) available locally for about the same price!
Trailer is 1.2 T empty...needs quite a tow vehicle!
BTW you will need a skilled crew of at least 3 even to take it to sea, 5 to race. No passengers!  ;)
Expect to spend about the same as purchase cost, annually, if you want to class race.
Great racing tho....
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Arthur Dent

Thanks everyone,

We'll keep looking for a BR20, in the meantime we found a CB 17'6" Coastal Dayboat in very nice condition, to get us on the water for the time. We won't be racing it against a BR20, that's for sure - my sailing skills would probably not allow me to win in a Laser against a piece of driftwood anyway ...

I'd never dream of actually trying to sail an IOD (but they are pretty)

I suppose the Swallow Boats Raids are not open to other boats, even if we actually could stay within sight of the fleet by the end of the day?  ;D