Author Topic: BC26 - Main Mast - Overhang when dropping  (Read 1634 times)

AndyB

BC26 - Main Mast - Overhang when dropping
« on: 27 Sep 2022, 10:48 »
I am replacing the shrouds this winter and wanting to drop the mast replace them then put it back up. I have asked the marina for space behind the boat to do this and they would like to know how much and I don't know  :)

So the question is : When you drop the mast and it is still on the tabernacle how far does it overhang the stern of the boat.

I had thought of the rough measurement of saying 10.4 meters is the overall height. 1.6  meters from water to base of mast , mast 1.5  meters from the bow : Mast is 10.4 -1.6 = 8.8 meters. Boat is 8meters long so overhang would be 8.8 - (8-1.5) =1.5 meters so tell the boatyard 2 meters.

Anyone know the length of the mast because that is the only difficult measurement to get.

Ideas ?

Andy B
Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss

AndyB

Re: BC26 - Main Mast - Overhang when dropping
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2022, 09:56 »
I asked Swallow Yachts and it is 9M.
Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss

Nick Orchard

Re: BC26 - Main Mast - Overhang when dropping
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2022, 18:31 »
Hi Andy

Don't know this additional info helps, but when berthed normally the cleat on the end of the pontoon finger is roughly in line with the second stanchion back from the bow. When I drop the mast I move the boat forward in the berth and secure it with the midships cleat tied off close to the pontoon cleat. When the mast comes down the mast tip is just about level with the far side of the main pontoon, and I can just about work on it without having to move the mast forwards. However, don't forget you've got the radio aerial sticking out another couple of feet beyond the top of the mast, and mine just clears the windscreen of the motor boat parked in the berth the other side of the pontoon. If there's more than a little work to do on the mast then I move it forward to the trailing position on the bowsprit, which apart from making it easier to access the end, stops the passing boat owners tutting about having to duck under the long black thing blocking the pontoon!
 Nick
Nick Orchard
BC26 008 Luminos II - Torquay