Author Topic: The drain plug in the water ballast tank has resolved. BRE  (Read 1573 times)

Thomas Rahm

Hello everybody,  the drain plug in the water ballast tank of my BRE has resolved.( down in the hull )
 How is it properly attached?
How can i attach it better? Does somebody has any ideas?
Thomas
Thomas R  BRE 084 "well done"

Llafurio

As the photo shows you still have the original plastic drain plug, with a
 (too) small diameter opening. Too small because it takes very long to fill the ballast tank which may be a safety issue if you need a quick fill. Also, in raids you regularly want a quick fill up (and a quick emptying).

I recommend you get yourself 1" wide opening Osculati brass drain bungs for both the intake and draining of the ballast water, and screw them down properly. https://www.osculati.com/en/11189-18.538.01/chromed-brass-drain-plug-35-mm

C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Thomas Rahm

Thank's!  I don't want to drill holes in the hull for the screws.
Are there any other ideas?
Thomas

Thomas Rahm

Does anyone have a photo of the hull from outside?  Then I don't have to get the boat out of water to see what the space for a drain plug is.
Kind regards Thomas

Matthew P

I agree with Llafurio, the drain plugs on early boats were too small and slowed ballast tank filling.  This caused lost sailing time if readying the boat go start sailing in windy conditions and could be dangerous if the ballast tank needed filling quickly once on the water. 

On my BR20 I reversed the direction of one of the almost useless self bailers in the ballast tank so that it to faced forward, and I removed the pivoted plate so operated as a scoop INTO the tank when deployed.  This worked well, with a most satisfying fountain of water into the tank. 

Matthew
BR17 Tarika
ex BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter