Author Topic: BC 26 type 1, sail number 001? Probably?  (Read 1600 times)

Sea Simon

BC 26 type 1, sail number 001? Probably?
« on: 24 Oct 2022, 20:17 »
I'm  the new (second) owner of "Bluebottle". BC 26 001...probably...but more on that later...
https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=17&URL=https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php?topic=2726

I'm told that this boat is the preproduction prototype,  or maybe just what has turned out to be a unique one off? I don't really know exactly yet.

The original pics, see attached, show her with sail number 001, but I think she differs in very many ways to the later boats and, in some ways, looks like a bigger BC23 to me? Slightly modified since then, and now has a pulpit, guard wires and additional winches.
That said, I'm unclear on the MK1 v MK 2 BC26, to which others have referred.

She is "Mauritius Blue" (dark navy blue) cream topsides, cream sails.
Hull is not Chined. Betamarine 14 diesel inboard, saildrive. Large lead bulb on lift keel (appx 330kg), twin "Jefra" brand spade rudders (not lifting). Selden alloy spars. No spinni, but rigged for one.
Quite different deckhouse, and obviously the interior layout is very different too.
Hopefully,  the smaller cabin, yet larger cockpit will suit our style of use. With a transom door/platform, Swimming will certainly be easier.
She will be Fowey based; although she has a road trailer I'm NOT planning on towing this beast very far!

My BRex is sold.

So, Q1. Pics show sail # 001, but has been since removed. BC 26 and logo present.
I'm  planning new sails, and both club and sailmaker are asking for numbers!

If "muddy waters" is now considered by some to be BC 26 001, what do others suggest?
https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=17&URL=https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,2702.msg15915.html#msg15915

https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=17&URL=https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,2518.msg15337.html#msg15337

I'm considering perhaps #2601, or #1001 maybe?
Any thoughts/advice welcome.

Q2. How does Bluebottle s underwater profile compare with current production BC26s?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: BC 26 type 1, sail number 001? Probably?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2022, 15:32 »
Very pretty!  And it gets the seal of approval of famous US yacht designer Bob Perry too.

This BC 26/01 is presumably not the same boat, apparently with electric propulsion and an electric cooker.  https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,2518.0.html.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2022, 09:08 »
Thank you GW, I think so too :)

Versus newer/production BC 26s, I'm  willing to sacrifice the standing headroom (plenty of sitting headroom), but the compromises of the underwater arrangements (saildrive, large bulbed keel, fixed rudders) may be more difficult to become acustomed to after my other boats.
That said, the 14HP two cylinder diesel inboard is a revelation. Very tight weather window to make the 10 hr/50 mile passage home, 5 hrs no wind and were able to talk normally while motoring at 5 knots +..all for 1 ltr diesel (red, at 145p/ltr) per hour. This amounts to about 1/4 of the fuel tank capacity; boats range/duration therefore much greater than mine.

Only two gas rings, no oven...

I think the all-electric BC26 is "muddy waters". Am interested to learn more.
However...it's not for me (see above!)

..and on a passage "dead" midstream pontoon (Salcombe) to swinging mooring (Fowey), I wouldn't  be getting much use out of any electric oven either!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Nick Orchard

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2022, 10:58 »
I have to agree that Bluebottle is certainly a pretty boat, better looking than the current production version. Having said that, I do get a lot of compliments from passers-by, (ignoring the fact that they usually think it's a Cornish Crabber of course!). I think the compromises that Matt had to make to get the standing headroom have detracted from the lines, but on the other hand I do really like being able to stand up straight down below and probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I also like our panoramic front window which gives a great view forward and a very light and airy cabin, so I'll take a slight reduction in the aesthetics as a trade-off.

I'm interested to see that Bluebottle is specified as GRP, because I seem to remember that when I asked Matt about the origins of Bluebottle a couple of years ago I thought he said that it was carvel planked wood at the request of the customer, as it was a one-off bespoke design - are you sure you haven't got a wooden boat??

To answer your specific questions, Q1 re the sail number, I think you can take your pick. You won't be confused with Muddy Waters 001 because she has a GBR sail number, and anyway I think there are two boats numbered 011 so you would just be adding to the trend. (It was this confusion over sail numbers that prompted me to ask Matt about Bluebottle). An alternative would be to get yourself a GBR number from the RYA, free to Gold members, £15 to members and I think £30 to non-members.

Q2 re underwater profile, I think the only person who could answer that question would be Matt Newland, and I'm sure you'd learn a lot about the boat if you give him a call.

Anyway, welcome to the fleet and good to hear you'll be in Fowey, we'll give you a shout next time we're down that way.

Nick
Nick Orchard
BC26 008 Luminos II - Torquay

Sea Simon

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2022, 14:38 »
Thanks for your input Nick. Helpful, as is the pic of your beached boat (on the sail slides thread). That is exactly what we often did with the BRex.

There are always compromises to be made, including aesthetics, practicalities - and price - at least in my case.

I spoke to Matt N at some length before buying, as did my pre-purchase surveyor. Matt was extremely helpful, as ever, but I am always aware that Swallow is a very busy small yard and so don't like to take up too much of their time.

Survey report consequently states:
"Construction: GRP foam sandwich construction (hull and deck). (‘Divinycell’ PVC foam) (some
areas of the deck may be GRP sheathed plywood)."
"Note: This vessel is understood to be Bay Cruiser 26 hull number 1. The vessel has significant
differences from the subsequent production model and may be considered to be a ‘one-off’
prototype. The hull is understood to have been built by laying up GRP onto the ‘Divinycell’ PVC
foam core and then filled and faired, rather than being moulded in a female mould."

From what I can see, bulkheads, lockers and lids, doors etc are, imo,  foam core laminates, some with very thin ply facings?

Matt mentioned the standing head room and inboard saildrive as compromises made during design evolution.

So, from this it seems to confirm that "Muddy waters" is perhaps the "plug" for later boats? it's definitely not Bluebottle.

Looking forward to plenty of tweaking/bimbling over the winter as there are many things I plan to change/modify.

See you in Fowey? I'm  unlikely to voyage as far East as Torquay  ;)
...From Oct 22.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2022, 18:04 »
Very nice. I think - but may be misremembering - that the yard build two of these BC26s. They were before Muddy Waters which is the true BC26 MK2 001 / prototype. This is the original BC26. I can't remember if it was intended to become a production boat but think it was. However, the design was updated and Muddy Waters was the result some time later.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"