Author Topic: BC 23 Cockpit cover  (Read 1565 times)

MarkDarley

BC 23 Cockpit cover
« on: 01 Nov 2022, 13:15 »
Does anyone have photos of their factory supplied cover fitted on the BC23?

We used ours for the first time in France last week, and it did not come down to the sides of the cockpit.  It was about a foot clear of the cockpit surround.  As a result, water flowed off it onto the cockpit seats....not much help.

We tried everything we could think of to lower it a bit, short of hanging it a foot below the boom. 

I assume that the spray dodger should be up when the cockpit cover is added.  The spray dodger set the height of both boom and cover.  Are we about a foot short on fabric around the edges?

(Unfortunately we did not take photos!).

Thanks for input.......
Mark
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

MarkDarley

Re: BC 23 Cockpit cover
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2022, 16:24 »
I now have a better understanding of why it "did not fit" having talked to Matt. In fact it fits fine for its intended use.

The cockpit cover is not intended to function as a cockpit tent.  It is merely intended to function as a cover for the cockpit at anchor, mooring or in the yard to keep dirt, rainwater and seagull guano off the boat.

With a creative local sailmaker, I intend to modify it with a skirt to be dual purpose.
Mark Darley,
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2022, 08:03 »
Original, perhaps like a bigger version of this? See attached.

The hole in the covers centre is for the main sheet to stay attached...must admit that threw me initially!

I generally remove the sheet and use "triangulation ropes" around the boom, then down to each aft cleat, as this both secures the boom/gooseneck against movement, and further deters gulls.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Baycruiser23

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2022, 16:50 »
Hi Mark, here is our cockpit tent in action as Autumn closes in. It is quite amazing the extra space and warmth it brings to the BC23!

MarkDarley

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2022, 02:45 »
Baycruiser 23.
Who made your cover?
Mark Darley,