Author Topic: Below waterline finish other than antifoul  (Read 1566 times)

DavidBotterill

Below waterline finish other than antifoul
« on: 03 Nov 2022, 20:46 »
I trail my BR17 to short rallies and raids and am very unlikely to leave her on a mooring for more than a couple of weeks in the season. I am in the process of sanding down previous coatings on her hull beneath the water line and considering what to apply, any suggestions? Thanks, David

garethrow

Re: Below waterline finish other than antifoul
« Reply #1 on: 04 Nov 2022, 17:38 »
David
I suspect you will get a variety of answers to this as each skipper tends to have their 'pet' paint solution.

To some extent the answer depends on what is already in the hull. My own preference for sake of durabliuty and finish is 2 pack Perfection from International Yacht Paints. This has several drawbacks but gives unsurpassd durablity and gloss finish. ITs drawbacks:

1. You can only apply over bare wood / metal, epoxy or previous paint that is 2 pack, NOT over single pack paint / varnish
2. Youhave to have some control over your painting environment, temp more than 10 degrees C and humidity less than 80%
3. It is expensive - around £60 for 750ml - but it does have excellent coverage.
4. You need No.9 thinners to clean up brushes etc.

No doubt other skippers will have their preferences too!

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
BR20 Halen Y mor
Ex wooden S17 Gwennol Teifi

boomerangben

« Reply #2 on: 05 Nov 2022, 16:35 »
We’ve never put anything on the bottom of our BRE. Spends most of the time on the trailer, doesn’t pick up much over a week or so on the water. I did have her in the marina for 5 months a couple of summers ago and whilst she picked up some brown fuzz, a bit of brushing before sailing got rid of some of it. Did need a bit of effort getting it all off at the end of the season but nothing a pressure washer couldn’t handle.

I did see advertisement for Lanoguard which is marketed as under seal protection for cars and their grease is recommended for marine applications. I am considering a coat of that next season to see how it fairs. I’m a bit loathed to apply anything that requires abrading her shiny bottom or leaves something that will be a nightmare to take off at a later date

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 05 Nov 2022, 18:45 »
Just two weeks a year?

Personally, I wouldn't bother antifouling at all. Just scrub pre race/ event?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.