Author Topic: Which BayRaider 20?  (Read 2887 times)

Llafurio

Which BayRaider 20?
« on: 07 Nov 2022, 09:22 »
Regretfully, there is often confusion about which boat is subject to what shortcoming. Right now, there is some criticism about supposedly poor heavy weather capabilities of BayRaiders, while others have experienced excellent heavy weather performance. Apart from different personal soft skills, which lead to different outcomes, there is also a hard fact: There are many different BayRaiders 20. And it is not always made clear in the contributions here, which specific boat is being discussed.
At the root lies the erratic product policy of SwallowBoats / SwallowYachts. Different boats make different outcomes too.
As I had been close from the very beginning, I have seen several relevant product modifications over the years, for which the chronology, reasons and effects have not been communicated by the yard, at least not publicly.
Completely different rigs, different sails and sailcuts, different rudders, varying centreboard positions, various bung and bailer makes and bailing arrangements, and whatnot, I think it is high time to sort this conundrum out. To come to a better product conformity for the future, maybe even to BR20 "Class Boats".
CR

Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Sea Simon

Re: Which BayRaider 20?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2022, 09:04 »
Imo...

Hardware. More detail in each forum users signature strip/profile should be encouraged,  as this does help clarify what boat and set up they are basing their post upon.

"Software". Each individuals perceived experience of wind/sea/weather conditions is notoriously variable, even within professional  settings. Much harder to standardise.

I see your point L, but...Too late for "class boats", one design style?
Besides, most of us seem to enjoy modifications  and general bimbling? It's  certainly a major attraction to me.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.